Where to start?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Alatorian, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Alatorian

Alatorian Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2012
    I have just completed my 3rd year driving OTR. I really love this and do not see myself doing anything different ever again. I started off pulling tankers for a year, then did a year of refer. Now I have completed a year pulling dry van while working as a team. Next I'm going to spend a year learning the flatbed side of things.

During this time I have managed to put back 18k in savings. What I would like to do is spend the next 2-3 years educating myself on the business side of trucking, while continuing to save, before making the move to be an O/O. So, where should I start? Can someone point me to a series of books, podcasts, trade magazines, etc? I really want to spend the time to learn everything I can about the business side of things. Thanks ahead of time for any constructive help!

OlChev and Nwernig Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    i bought the book from KR stop holding the steering wheel. Good job on not jumping into it! FYI when u find a truck u want(USED) take it to a dealer look it over and if its good buy it. With 18,000 u can find a nice good truck from private person. U can always buy the truck and park it in ur drive way and get time/money and replace parts buy a fixer upper while working as company.

Alatorian Thanks this.
  4. Stubby T Slapnutt

Stubby T Slapnutt Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Go to you tube search Sergei Dratchev, he really seems to have his dodo together. Ha

Alatorian Thanks this.
  5. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Probably enough info on this forum if you spend a lot of time here reading past and future posts on the owner operator side. You'll also get multiple views on things.

Alatorian Thanks this.
  6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    LMAO. Are we talking about the same Sergei that had a step then paid to have a rolltite kit put on it, then didn't like it, then got rid of it, the got fired from his employer for posting too much of their business info on trucker forums? You mean that Sergei?

7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Keep track of every little expense detail as you are running the company truck. Pretend it's your own and see how much you need to make in revenue to make it worth your while.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  8. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    Landstar actually fired him for posting a video showing himself stopped on a shoulder just to remove or reposition a camera. Someone in the office watched his videos and busted him for it.

It’s pretty common knowledge that Landstar has a zero tolerance policy for stopping on a shoulder for any reason other than a breakdown. Landstar is kind of anal about it and Sergei really should have known that.

9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    LOL. Didn't know about any episodes at LS. I was referring to McKinnon Trucking several years ago. I admit I'm not an avid follower.

10. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    sergie also got a ticket for cell phone use. he was at a stop light and a DOT cop got him. He said he didn't know it was against the law. he thought because he was stopped it was ok.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.