Where to Start

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by zachsweetman, Jul 28, 2016.

1. zachsweetman

zachsweetman Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Kind of a broad question but in a crossroad in life and went to school for electrical to get out of the trucking career but realizing now I don't really want to leave. I wanna make the best out of trucking and make the most money it has to offer. Thought maybe from a couple of experienced owner operators I could get a few answers on where to go to maybe get myself going as one myself. Pros and cons maybe, or just simply right down to what I should begin doing as of now. Looking to be a one man show and I'm from the New England area. Much appreciated fellas!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    four numbers 1099 means you will be paying tax to uncle sam yourself.

There are tons of posts all over this site with wonderful people like yourself seeking to run free.

NJtrucx and zachsweetman Thank this.
  4. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Thought you were going to escape? You have been assimilated, there is no escape.

77fib77, NJtrucx and Puppage Thank this.
  5. nj.duxbury

nj.duxbury Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Ive been thinking about buying my own truck next year and have done a little research on the subject and this is some of the things ive found or have been told: first thing is get an LLC before you even buy the truck. Then find a company like ups to sign on with, they will hold the contract until you show them the bill of sale and the bobtail insurance. Now you can buy your truck! Make sure you have some cash flow for any hidden expenses. Now as far as the taxes go....I was told that new businesses can write off 100% of business expenses like new tires, fuel, oil...anything that keeps that truck in business for the first five years. Keep all of the receipts for everything and have a CPA. Im still doing my research but thought I'd share what I already have. If anyone can or wants to please feel free to add more as any useful information will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.