Where/Who for new CDL rookie in Maryland?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Hurst, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    The son of a good friend of mine will have his CDL soon and has asked me for advise. He is 23 and wants to make a good decision.

I hate to admit this,.. but I am not with the current times and am not up to date with the mega carriers. I know which main bottom feeders to stay away from. But for the most part,.. I am clueless.

I've never worked for a mega in my life. I started out with a small company in Md back in the mid 80's. I have only worked for O/O's and now as an O/O myself.

So I'm reaching out to experienced TTR members. His son lives in Laurel, Md. Where/Who would be a good company for him to get his feet wet in trucking?

He is not sure if he wants to do flatbed, van or reefer. He would like a company with decent home time. Weekends preferably,.. but is willing to man up and stay out and pay his dues to make it work. Does Melton hire out of Md? I'd like to see him get into Flatbed first,.. only because everything else will seem like cake. Though, he may need Van or Reefer first if only to master his backing skills bumping docks.

I'm trying to look back and remember what worked for me when I was his age. But I didnt start like most people. I started in with a Towing and Heavy transport company. I started with a Chauffeurs license and when the time came to pull my first RGN,.. I was told to swim or sink. So I am not sure I am the right person to give advise for choosing the right company to start with.

Help,..

Hurst

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    What about that bowman company that's all over Hagerstown?

Hurst Thanks this.
  4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    They are all over MD,.. I remember them from 20 yrs ago. Laurel Md is in PG county,.. part of the Northern VA, Wash DC, Suburban MD area. Hagerstown is considered western Md,.. up in the hills. Usually anything west of Frederick is too far to commute to the DC area.

I dont know anything about Bowman, other than they have a lot of trucks. Do you know anyone who drives for them? Would they be a good fit for a rookie?

I dont want to send the kid on a hard path and scar him from trucking.

Hurst

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Many companies have weekends at home. Being young he may want to see the country; at least that's what I wanted.
    Here's some that hire rookies:

Freymiller

Earl Henderson Trucking - Guaranteed minimum weekly pay of 2100 miles @ $.38 cpm. That's the very least he will make. Coast-to-coast reefers.

Decker Truck Line - reefers and flatbeds
    Halvor Lines - reefers/flatbed/van/specialized van for hauling cars.
    Navajo Express - coast to coast reefers.
    Abilene Motor Express - coast to coast reefers - excellent reputation for drivers.
    PI&I Motor Express - flatbed/curtainside flatbed
    Pride Transport - coast to coast reefers/satellite TV/refrigerator/xm radio
    J&R Schugel
    H.O. Wolding

Weekends home:
    Maverick Transportation
    Decker Truck Line - flatbed division
    McElroy
    Jordan Carriers
    BTC (Builders Transportation Company)
    TMC

My favorites are:
    Freymiller
    Decker Truck Line - reefers
    Earl Henderson
    Abilene Motor Express
    Navajo Express

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Hurst Thanks this.
  6. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I've always heard good things about Cowan Systems out of Baltimore. When I was OTR, they went to a lot of the same customers as my company and I've chatted with quite a few of their drivers over the years. They seemed very happy, for the most part. They have a dedicated account with Sun Products there in Baltimore. They also do a lot of stuff for Rock-Tenn and Coca-Cola. Most of their drivers are home every weekend and they have local stuff running day cabs also. I'd think someone in the D.C./B-more area could do a lot worse, as they really seem like a first-rate outfit.

Hurst Thanks this.
  7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Glad you chimed in.

He has a GF,.. which you and I both know may create problems in this business. He is young,.. so I'm sure he will want to spend time with friends.

I was fortunate when I was driving at his age, I was home almost daily and was rarely gone for more than 3 - 4 days once or twice a month. I made very good money, paid hourly and percentage.

The company I worked for said they could hire him after 36 months,.. but not before. Still a smaller outfit with only 18 trucks now. Guys who work there usually stay for many years,.. the towing and straight trucks has drivers who come and go,.. thats where he would start before getting into the RGN heavy haul. They would train and guide him properly once there. Getting him to that point is where I am struggling.

Thanks guys.

Hurst

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tell him, "variety is the spice of life" and two girlfriends is better than one. He can have one on each coast and a few in between coasts.

9. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Double the trouble.. and spendy

RERM, Hurst and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    LOL so true,.. I had a few I would call on when I was that age. I had the stamina back then to handle it. Unfortunately,.. never had the money needed to maintain it properly.

Hurst

11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I'll let him figure that out on his own. I dont want to be the instigation that sent him on a path he might get hooked on and never stop. LOL

Hurst

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.