Which rule?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JReding, Oct 19, 2016.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Can someone help me out for a sec? I'm getting ready for work, and don't have time to look up specific regs for this. Former coworker at another company had this happen to him when he was about 60 miles from the terminal. He just got to his first stop of the day when it happened, his dispatcher told him to run with it. I would have refused. Screenshot_20161019-150953_1.jpg Screenshot_20161019-150945_1.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    Hell I'd run with that. Just get it fixed first chance you get.

crb, passingthru69 and Toothpick1 Thank this.
  4. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I dont see a problem running like that. Definetly needs to get fixed, when you get back to the terminal.

crb Thanks this.
  5. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    There is no reg or rule that your door must be closed. If your freight is safely and legally secured, you could run door open all day.

Of course you will be getting waved at and honked at all day.....

6. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    I was just reading in the FMCSA a little while ago that the rear doors can not be used for cargo securement, so while someone might be able to write it up as some generic issue if they are trying to cause trouble, as long as you have secured so it so it isn't going to open or flop around, I would think it should be fine.

I would put a small ratchet strap on if I had one, just so I can get some tension so it isn't bouncing, but if the cargo is secure, and the door is secure, I am satisfied with the condition of the vehicle.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hell, go to the shop and have them fix it.

Ive seen people shove blown doors into the trailer and then load lock em when there is like 6 major peices hanging out of the back. But technically the doors are closed.

You can run open doors if your load inside is properly secured. But everyone will hassle you. (And in some industries like LTL food service, jump in and steal your lobsters. Don't think they wont.

TallJoe and KillingTime Thank this.
  8. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Hook it up to a white Volvo and you'll be fine.

crb Thanks this.
  9. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I've ran through a scale missing a door, was pulled in but not ticketed. Everything was secured via straps, and I explained that the door was knocked off by another driver in the dock. Doors are designed to break off, or else they wouldn't be called "break-a-away" hinges. As for a roll door, I used to drive around with the door wide open after running garlic powder.

10. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Makes the most sense to me.
    I've yet to see a flatbedder close his doors. Ha!

Dharok, snowwy, diesel drinker and 7 others Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You have. If you consider that extra panel we tie down with a bungee in the back of that covered wagon so we can flip the door and crawl in to check chains and binders in the morning.

crb Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.