which trucking software should I get

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by manmeet1, Apr 29, 2013.

1. manmeet1

manmeet1 Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2013
    is there any free trucking software to manage accounts profit loss etc thx

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shortrun

shortrun Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2013
    If you want something basic use Excel. If you want to go all out then go with Access.

It's not that hard to set up an Excelfile to do all your calculations as you input your data.
    With Access you can make reports youcan print out. It takes longer to get it all set up, but as long asyou input all the needed info you can set up your reports any time.

4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    The best all around software for doing accounting tailored to one's operation is a spreadsheet program. Develop the sheets to fit what you do. You can even have them share data among themselves and have it all come together on a profit and loss sheet.

Best thing is, one of the best spreadsheet programs out there is Open Office, and it is totally free! Will run on a laundry list of computer platforms and will work and play well with a lot of other programs out there like MS Excel. It also has word processing, database, and presentation programs as part of the package. It will not do everything that Excel does, but it will do most of what any normal individual needs in a spreadsheet. And certainly will do more than the typical truck owner, or truck company for that matter, needs. I have been running multi layered, relational Open Office spreadsheets for over a decade in my business. My tax preparer is on Excel. I just forward him the sheets and he does the rest.

www.openoffice.org

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Open office has a good program. It is slightly different than Excel, but a good spreadsheet. They also have a word processor. It is very similiar to Microsoft Office. The difference is that Open office is free. I don't know of any trucking software that you can get for free, although most of them offer a short trial that will allow you to try the program for about 2-4 weeks. Other than using a spreadsheet, I am familiar with several of the trucking specific software packages, but all charge a fee.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    don't go with open office. it can't handle some microsoft word documents.

go with LIBREOFFICE instead. both programs are free. and give you everything that expensive msft program can do.

7. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Wow. I have been using Open Office on Windows and Mac based platforms for well over a decade and I have not had any problem with importing just about any word processing document clear back to the old Word Perfect days. I have imported a LOT of MS Word documents without a hitch. Have even imported them from my attorney, modified them in Open Office, and sent them back as a Word document.

But LibreOffice is a good option also. It is built on the same platform as OpenOffice is. Their are a lot of similarities. Many of the same folks who worked on OpenOffice are doing LibreOffice.

Isn't it wonderful to have free choices instead of being tied into Microsoft for their massively expensive product offerings? What a country!

8. TheEnglishMan

TheEnglishMan Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I use the Numbrs App on my IPad. $10 from the App Store. Spreadsheet program with a bunch of features and a varity of templates. What's cool, I think, is that it will email your spreadsheet in PDF format.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i've ran into the microsoft problem numerous times as of late. word docuiments from the office program.

it was learned there was a hole in the software for easy attacks. msft solution was to strip some of the coding out to close the hole. openoffice hasn't been able to rework there software to make it work.

you can google it. that's how i found out about libreoffice.

10. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Yeah, there was a major 2011 magazine article writeup comparing Open Office to LibreOffice. They both bring things to the table. When Oracle assumed full ownership of Open Office, a lot of the independent community took the open sourced code that Open Office was built upon and developed LibreOffice. They have more in common than differences. They are both good solid products. They each have strengths and weaknesses. But to be fair here..... most of what the average truck driver or owner would need is served well by either of them. After all, there are some substantial business' that are using Open Office and have for some time with no problems. LibreOffice can make similar claims.

And best of all.... They are both FREE!

11. jimf922

jimf922 Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2012
    It's not free but one of the best that I used was truckin pro by fog line. the program was 120 when I bought but had free updates and ray white answered all questions. there is probably something cheaper but remember on a lot of programs you get what you pay for.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.