Who woulda thunk it?

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by 13gearshowlin, Sep 23, 2016.

1. 13gearshowlin

13gearshowlin Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2016
    St.louis
    Started my day at 6 am. Made my delivery at 8 in Lexington deadheaded to louisville for pickup loaded by 11 am. The del on this load is only 5 hrs away. I start driving , about an hr at it and I start to feel sleepy. Doesnt usually hit me like this so I pulled over and took a nap. WAIT ! WHAT? A Grown man actually knows when he's tired and needs a break. Amazing!!! No LAW or Computer to tell Me when? Whats the world comin to.

single drop, Spyke, scottied67 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 13gearshowlin

Sep 22, 2016
    St.louis
  4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    You probably have sleep apnea

5. 13gearshowlin

Sep 22, 2016
    St.louis
  6. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Good for you, did you use an alarm clock, or was it the whole sleep debt you had to repay that day?

Personally, I think whether or not I'm sleepy is a gray area, where I may or may not have two choices in the matter. What if there's nowhere safe to park, or how far away is it... what do you do in the meantime? If you can't come up with a way of totally snapping yourself out of midday drowsiness, immediately and without stopping, you may want to work on that. Most effective thing for me is having both windows down, heat off, and smacking my hands together as fast and hard as I can, for fractions of a second between steering and rubbing the sting off, until it clicks. This may take me a few seconds, or a few minutes until I'm good for a few hours. In that case I wasn't necessarily sleepy, like a "stop drop and roll" thing (I just had to set my hands on fire to get the adrenaline pumping). It's more of an emergency if you can't find a place to park and can't snap out of it (but then if you can, why find a place to park)...

Well, I wouldn't want to discourage you from nap time, except to advise trying to wake up on the way to the parking spot next time, to see if something else works for you, in case parkng isn't an option at some point, or the roadside is maybe more of a hazard than it's worth (seems like as many accidents occur surrounding the whole parking problem as the sleep situation).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    13gearshowlin Thanks this.
  7. 13gearshowlin

Sep 22, 2016
    St.louis
    Sorry you guys are taking it wrong. I wasnt falling asleep at the wheel. Just felt like pulling over and taking a snooze. WHEN I want to, without it affecting my Clock. Which is safer than the guys on E logs racing a clock or being told when to park EVEN when they arent sleepy. Ya guys missed the point or maybe I wasnt CLEAR enough. Nevermind.

aron12 Thanks this.
  8. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Yeah, that doesn't at all sound like you were falling asleep at the wheel.
    Who woulda thunk it?

9. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    That's werid because I thought paper or elogs are under the same HOS standard....hmmm guess paper runs under different HOS

Spyke Thanks this.
  10. 13gearshowlin

Sep 22, 2016
    St.louis
    They are the same rules

11. 13gearshowlin

Sep 22, 2016
    St.louis
    Feeling sleepy and head bobbing are a world of difference. My point was we are adults. I knew before I had to pour water in my eyes to stay awake that I wasnt in the mood to drive 5 hrs yet so I safely pulled over and till I felt like it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.