Why do I have to push the clutch pedal to the floor before a regen?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by expedite_it, Sep 25, 2015.

1. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    When I received my new 2014 Freightliner Cascadia truck, there was a sheet of paper in the truck with instructions on how to do a regen. The instructions advised a person to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor before pressing the regen button. I believe the instructions also said to push both the red and yellow brake valves in and then pull them back out before pressing the regen button. What is the purpose of pushing the clutch pedal to the floor before pressing the regen button?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    The computer has to see that the clutch pedal is disengaged. Same reason for the brake valves being pushed in then released. Otherwise it will not start the regen for safety reasons because the computer revs up the engine

expedite_it Thanks this.
  4. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Basically so a someone doesn't send their truck through a wall.

Same reason they say not to do a regen on top of a leaf pile or in a grassy field.

Cause we have to have cups warning people that coffee is hot. Lol

expedite_it Thanks this.
  5. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Just don't slack off on doing your parked regens if you do a lot of stop and go driving where the truck will not perform the auto regen while you're on the highway.

It causes all sorts of issues with the emission systems (mainly the dpf filter) which means downtime and $$$$ to fix.

Criminey Jade Thanks this.
  6. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    It's a safety assumption that you won't have the truck in gear if you are in neutral and sitting on the clutch brake. You'd think the brakes being set would be enough, but maybe someone managed to 'outsmart' the system.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.