Why do you hate driving California routes?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by CaliforniaJellyroll, Jun 18, 2015.

1. CaliforniaJellyroll

CaliforniaJellyroll Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    I think it might be just San Francisco, and L.A., but let me ask you. Why do truckers seem to hate doing California runs?
    Is it worse for you than NY or Boston?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 6daysontheroad

6daysontheroad Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    North of the Rio Grande
    55 mph speed limit, overzealous chp, traffic jams, no place to park. Give me a few minutes I can probably think of more. Oh yeah, emissions laws

Badmon, kbowers, dog-c and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Where I work now, we don't do California [any more]. I don't like going to California often, but I always enjoyed a CA run here and there to break the monotony of the TX/KS to NJ/new england routes. I have no significant issues with CA as long as I can only go there 5 or 6 times a year. But at that rate, I actually enjoy SoCal runs.

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    L.A. traffic, split speed limit, lane restrictions, and too many accidents. I would rather go to Queens or the Bronx than go to L.A. :)

CaliforniaJellyroll Thanks this.
  6. CaliforniaJellyroll

CaliforniaJellyroll Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    Wow, I have almost lived my whole life with that stuff on the freeways in a car. I had no idea it was so unique to California. I've only ever driven cross country on the 40 to Tulsa and back, and up to Grand Canyon and back on the way. I was really impressed with the road signs that said "please do such and such, it's our state law." Wow! Courteous. I suspect there will be more than one kind of culture shock coming up.

When you say "emissions laws" are you talking about idling? No 100% fuel available?

7. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Emissions laws means the dpf requirement in California. Old trucks don't have them and many guys don't want them. For companies changing out the fleet at 300k it's not a big deal but for an o/o that tends to hold on to trucks for longer the dpf can create some costly repairs that you don't see in old trucks.

8. VeganTrucker

VeganTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Dixie
    Tandems can only be on the 7th hole.

9. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Last time i drove in L.A. there was an angry homeless black man walking in my lane on i10 westbound...

if I was loaded heavy it would have been a different outcome, but because I had 17,000 in the box i was able to stop and avoid hitting him.

The behavior of 4 wheelers who drive in LA are the worst in the whole country. They will drive on shoulders to get around you. They will do anything and everything just to get around you.

10. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Califronia laws, 40 ft tandem law, 55 mph for trucks, 65 for cars. emission laws, low rolling resistance tires, required aerodynamics package on trailer, fuel blend sucks, and costs more, lack or parking, lack of parking, local laws restricting trucks, truck routes change, lane restrictions, no idle laws, dpf laws, nos laws, very ruff interstates, industrial parks you can not park in....

11. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    55 mph mainly. Dont drive there anymore -

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.