why does landstar pay alot more

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by darknessesedge, Jan 29, 2016.

1. TexasPhoenix

TexasPhoenix Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have a Schneider Finance truck. They offer a 1 year lease where you can lease a Freightliner (company style specs) and at the end of the year extend the lease on the truck, upgrade truck or walk away.
    They also have a money down program if you want something other than a Freightliner, i.e. Kenworth, Volvo, etc. The Volvos you need to have been an O/O before. Reason is that Volvos are more expensive to operate so they want you to have some experience in business. These are 3 year leases but the same 3 options are available at the end of the lease.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. devildog3531

devildog3531 Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Hey spider I've been reading a lot of your post and noticed you're from Florida. I'm in jax and was wondering what would be a good fit for me between ls and Mercer as far as freight IE. Fb or van. I would really appreciate it bro.

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Both companies would be good on the flat side. I try to know as little as possible about vans cause I hate general freight.

The choice between landstar and mercer really boils down to which is a better fit for you. They are both very good companies and set up almost identical. I prefer mercer but got friends over at landstar that are just as happy.

I will say this, if this is your first time running a truck and being responsible for your own loads, i firmly believe mercer is better at up to help a new guy succeed. Now if you already have been running a truck for years and have a good working knowledge of lanes and freight, then it's about equal. We both got the same customers and the rates are practically identical.

gsxrtime, WisconsinF150 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. devildog3531

Jul 5, 2015
    Oh ok cool. I've been trucking since 06 after I got out the Marines, and started lease purchase with my company in 12'. Also training and it's becoming a f#@!ing headache! 6k miles with a student just to make a $2000 check. Or close to it. It's hard to save money with being in the hole and all but I'm trying. I just can't get pass that 5k mark as far as savings. And I have a credit card with $10,500 on it. Every month I'm getting an email from Mercer saying "Mercer still wants you. Join today". And approved by LS as well. Just can't get into a truck of my own. I started to go through quality when they partnered with Mercer but then when I was ready to jump ship, they moved away from quality. Although I would like more but if I could just bring home 2.5k /wk after everything, driving solo, man that would be like winning the power ball jackpot!

6. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You could hit that number easily at both companies. Granted you were able to pick up the thinking pay off the game, how to make the system work in your favor, learn the good lanes, not fall for trap loads, etc etc. But neither company does a lease purchase. Have you tried to finance a truck through a dealer? The worst thing that can happen is they say no.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Define trap loads please.

8. devildog3531

Jul 5, 2015
    I tried last year around February and was turned down or they wanted 15k down. But my credit score was in the 400's at that time. Now I'm in the low 700's and better with my finances but have been rejected so much in the past that I'm nervous to even go.and apply. Every wk I would grab a truck paper or go to a dealer just to look and sit in the driver seat but never apply. Plus I hear from other o/o that I need at least 25k to start soooo. I'm just stuck mentally right now. Just soaking up the game from those who are good at it. And learning as I get my rehearsal in with this fleece deal.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    It's just my term for a seemingly great paying load but ends up being crap due to different things. Examples would be: So many stops it takes extra days to complete. Or a load going to a black hole like denver where you either come out very very cheap or bounce empty 750 miles. Basically a load that looks awesome at first glance but ends up being worse than just running your every day money makers. A lot of new guys jump on these kind of loads.

You could always try lone mountain. Technically they are a lease purchase but in reality its truck financing for a guy with b credit. In every practical way is no different than getting a truck through traditional financing. Tho obviously you end up paying a little more for the truck than you would have with a credit and working with your bank.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Who are you fleeced onto?

11. devildog3531

Jul 5, 2015
    Weener

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.