Why isn't there a Federal CDL?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by newbtr1, Jul 6, 2015.

1. newbtr1

newbtr1 Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    I think there should be one, that does not require any residency in any state.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Because the government doesnt have a long enough list of things to make over complicated and under efficient?

Let the feds get involved in licensing and it'll take 6 months to grade your test, another month to process your approval, and cost you $1000 to actually issue.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Yes and they will send you a fishing license!

TripleSix, Blackshack46 and KeithT1967 Thank this.
  5. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Because the States want money,,yes with fed regs it should be the same for pilots,,of course pilots are smarter too,, they vote more than truckers

6. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Because the government is really good and efficient at everything......

77smartin Thanks this.
  7. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    If you think about it,

CDL is a federal license,

issued by individual states.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Technically CDL's are Federal Licenses already, with States DMV's being the issuing agents. Although I'm for the Gov't NOT being involved in as much as they are I think they should officially take over the CDL role completely. Too many states tweaking things as they see fit, not honoring the reciprocity of them when people move, force expiring HME's when there still good for years. Forcing background checks when the one's on file are still good. This is all Federal stuff that the states are playing games with, the state's need to be taken out of the equation. I really don't see it getting worse, possibly better. (Yes, I know what I just said haha).

People here in VA pay $3 for their permit and $5/yr for their endorsements Plus obviously the lic itself.

People in NJ pay I believe $125 for their learners permit ALONE!

If I go back to my home state of MA I need to bring letters from employers I've worked with for the preceding 2 yrs or I'll have to re-road test.

ALL HME's in ALL states are valid for 5 years, yet how many "expire" before that? That shouldn't even be legal!

As all you guys know the list goes on and on. The feds already have all the rules on the books for this stuff, they either need to enforce it via the states or take it over completely. The only downside I really see if probably less testing sites in some states but in most states you can't do a CDL road test everywhere you do in a car anyways.

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I'd rather have a fishing license that allowed me to fish anywhere I'm apportioned to run.

10. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Because it's a driver license and states may have different requirements to qualify a driver, I think the federal level is for giving states minimum standards to implement, just as states may have different standards for how trucks may be configured there. It's probably better for figuring out what works best too, if one state has fewer issues with trucks, or drivers in general, maybe others can learn from that.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You don't want that.

If you are looking to have no residency requirements, it will turn into a mess, but if you are doing it because you want to be free of the requirement, move to a state that doesn't impose high fees.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.