Why would you lease a truck

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by lmcclure1220, Mar 15, 2015.

1. lmcclure1220

lmcclure1220 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Walnut, Ms
    This probably has been answered many times over here and maybe a matter of opinion but I don't understand why anyone would go about "leasing" a truck from a company.
    I will admit that I did it 35 years ago when companies were just starting to do it. (it was a "lease purchase" deal. I'd never do that again for sure) but leasing a truck to turn back in a year or two, I just don't understand at all. Whats the difference between that and being a company driver?
    And whats the advantage of leasing rather than being a company driver?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Saturday

Saturday Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    If the company let me turn the truck in with no negative hits to my credit I'd lease just to see if I was cut out to own my own business. If I make the grade and complete the lease I'd have the experience and confidence to go out and finance my own truck. Though let me say if I did ever lease it'd be with a company where it was possible to succeed in such a lease.

ford1998 and lmcclure1220 Thank this.
  4. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    a real lease is where ya lease a truck from a leasing co. and do what ya want with the truck for the term of the lease .
    a fleese is where ya lease a truck from a trucking company for the priv. of maybe no forced dispatch ,and being an indentured servant to the co. with no benefits for less money than the co. drivers make .
    see the difference now ?

lmcclure1220 Thanks this.
  5. Pete jockey

Pete jockey Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2015
    North of Pittsburgh Pa
    I would NEVER recommend the fleece purchase these companies jam down drivers throats...save a little and buy your own, at least you're not paying the company's truck payment

lmcclure1220 Thanks this.
  6. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    advantage of leasing rather than being a company driver?

Well I'll use myself as an example....
    I left .48 on the table at Shaffer, went to Schneider and leased a truck but the only reason I did it was for the program here.
    Where I am in control, I pick my freight from thousands of loads, tons of open window drop and hook loads and I am paid on %
    Financially I am earning more and working less and can do whatever the heck I want pretty much and don't have to deal with a dispatcher.
    I always believed the whole CPM thing was a scam anyway.
    I'm in Chicago and tomorrow I have a load going 107 miles that pays $510 to the truck.

There's many many terrible flease programs that pay by the mile.. Celadon for example pays freaking $1.18 a mile
    So say based on 7MPG and $3 a gallon.. A Celadon driver tomorrow would have to drive 600 miles to earn what I'm earning driving 107 miles (revenue after fuel costs)

Leasing a truck CAN work depending on the company and program.

Just like O/Os always say.. say no to cheap freight!
    Well say no to cheap paying flease deals

There's tons of cheap freight and tons of cheap fleasing companies but that doesn't mean you have to be the sucker.

ford1998, browndawg, pete1 and 14 others Thank this.
  7. lmcclure1220

lmcclure1220 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Walnut, Ms
    Did you lease your truck through SFI or did you buy it and then lease to Schneider? I agree with all the posting about the "fleece" programs (be there done that and lost my shirt) but I also had my own trucks that I financed through a separate company and then leased. I really have questions about the guys that "lease" the truck for a year on a walk away at the end.

8. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    why would you lease a truck?

firstly, the be at least one step above being a company driver

secondly, the have a "feeling of some indepence"

and lastly, as i was signing my lease with a mega some years ago, "to increase my earning potential"

now that being said, i have no idea how bad these lease operators or lease purchase operators have it, but i actually think it taught me more about the business and how you have to "push back" to get what you need done so you can be profitable

if you are a yes-man, then lease purchasing is not for you, because the company is out to screw you, make no bones about it (but they are screwing you as a company driver also)

but if you have a backbone and know when to speak up and when to shut up, i still think its better than being a company driver

let me also add, when i was leasing, we had paper logs and i made money

this elog and leasing is like trying to run a race with a ball and chain on your ankles

9. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    you see the problem with that is that you are making less money, so how are you going to save?

then you barely scrape up enough for a down payment, now you are married to a leasing company, and if the truck breaks down, you are screwed also

so there is no "easy path" and different folks have had different ways of getting their trucks, but i have always looked at this "work as a company driver and save" as a long dark hole with maybe no end

pete1 Thanks this.
  10. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    I'm leasing through Schneider finance. You can bring a truck over here if you wanted to.
    This isn't a scam place, in fact they want you to be happy and successful which is why they even offer a one year lease here to "see how you like it".
    Try getting that at TranScam or Celadon lol

WingNut72, Newtrucker48 and skyviper73 Thank this.
  11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Lessee...

I made a lot more than the company guys do...

Went where I wanted on my own terms...

Paid off the note...

Its my truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.