Wi-Fi's hacked

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/02/technology/wifi-passwords-hacker-vigilante/index.html

Someone is hacking unprotected WiFi routers everywhere -- and forcing them to be on guard.
    Does your home WiFi use a default password? It forces you to change it. Does it leave unguarded communication channels open? It forces you to close them.

[iframe name="google_ads_iframe_/8663477/CNNMoney/tech/main_5" width="220" height="200" id="google_ads_iframe_/8663477/CNNMoney/tech/main_5" src="javascript:"[/iframe]
    To experts, this seems like the work of a well intentioned hacker vigilante. Illegal, yes. But helpful, kinda.

The custom-built software is nicknamed "Ifwatch" and it is spreading quickly, according to researchers at the cybersecurity firm Symantec (SYMC, Tech30).

"We have not seen any malicious activity whatsoever," said Symantec threat intelligence officer Val Saengphaibul. "However, in the legal sense, this is illegal activity. It's accessing computers on a network without the owner's permission."

To date, it has snuck into at least 10,000 Internet-connected devices, usually WiFi routers.

Ifwatch first popped up last year, when an independent security researcher spotted something funky in a home WiFi router.

Why does Ifwatch seem nice? Because it tries to kill any malware on your router. It also gives your device automatic, friendly updates that protect it from computer viruses. In some cases, it forces a device to reboot every week, clearing away any dangerous malware.

Then again, there's no telling if this intrusive program is really as benign as it seems. Ifwatch has the ability to monitor what's going on in your router -- and capture that data.

So, in theory, it could spy on you. When you're prompted to type in a new password, it's hard to tell if that stays private. Would you type in a new password with someone looking over your shoulder?

"We have no idea who is behind this -- or what their full intention is," Saengphaibul said.

But there's a clue. There's a hidden message in the program's computer code: "To any NSA and FBI agents reading this: please consider whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example."

This altruistic hack could be an attempt to improve everyone's privacy. Or maybe it's just a very clever diversion.

rachi, albert l, scottied67 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
  4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Interesting... Thanks for posting.

5. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Is it really hacking if it is unprotected to begin with.

Kinda like if you give me the key to your house...
    Unprotected WiFi routers aren't nearly as bad as they were just 10y ago.

6. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I'm an ex software engineer. Here's a neat way to steal stuff.

I have a WIFI hotspot in my truck just like many of you. The name of my hotspot in case anyone as seen me is UrMamasSoFat. I can call my hotspot anything I want like FlyingJ, Pilot or Love's wifi 3. Now I tell my hotspot to go to my laptop first and bring up a web page that I designed to look exactly like Flying J or anything I want. It's easy. I just go on the Flying J login website and take all their images and make my own with one exception. When you type in your username, password or credit card info it comes to me, I save it then tell you that you typed something wrong and kick you out.

Now I have your username and password so I can use your wifi time whenever I want for free. I also have your credit card number, exp date and security code.

So now your ready for the big score. Park outside a Starbucks in maybe a rich town like Hollywood. Name your hotspot Starbucks 1. Many places have multiple wireless routers so you can pick the strongest signal one. Just see what's there like 1, 2, 3 then call yours 4.

Now sit back and look at all the requests coming through your WIFI until you see a request for Bank of America or some other big bank. At that point do like above and put up a webpage that looks like the bank. Get their username and password then tell them they entered it wrong then let them on to the real Bank of America site.

So, now we have their username and password for their bank account. After you have collected enough usernames and passwords your ready to go in for the kill.

There are a few ways but if your just looking to skip town to another country with a lot of cash and don't care if they know who you are then do this.

Log into their account and transfer as much money as you can from their bank account to yours. It's easy and takes 30 seconds. You just type your name, checking account number and routing number in and transfer any amount you want. It happens THAT second. You can do it from your car in the parking lot of the bank right before it opens then go inside and cash a check.

There are also ways of doing this without getting caught but takes time and effort. How do you keep from getting scammed by this? When you bring up your banks website make sure you see the little padlock icon in the beginning of the address bar. This means the site is encrypted and has a security key. Not impossible but very hard to fake. These people aren't interested in us especially when they log in and see a balance of $139.57. They are not going to risk it.

Criminey Jade Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i cant speak for bank of america. But just about everytime I've wanted to set up some type of transfer. I've had to wait a couple of days for whatever verification method being used. As in, a couple of pennies deposited in to my account. Which usually isn't seen till the next day when the bank updates.

8. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    These people aren't interested in us especially when they log in and see a balance of $139.57. They are not going to risk it.

Someone would have to add money for me to have that much!

Skate-Board Thanks this.
  9. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    This was done in NC outside a Big Box Hardware store. They sat in the parking lot and gathered company information....

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  10. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    That's only for things like Ebay and Paypal. I can setup a transfer from my bank account in 30 seconds.

11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I wired money last year, just needed my account number and a fax, poof, money sent.
    It was scary how easy it was

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.