Will customers refuse a liquid tank if it is stained on the inside?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by scythe08, Oct 16, 2016.

1. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Good morning fellas. I picked up a trailer yesterday from the tank wash in North salt lake. Never had an problem with them before. Pretripped the tank and noticed that the inside was stained. it is noted on the washout paperwork, but I had never saw a stain like that before. I notified my dispatch and sent him a pic of it and he didn't seem to care. my external valve was spot less as is the rest on the trailer. I didnt see anybody there to talk to about it and I know that our trailers can sit there for quite a while before being washed so I attributed it to that and thebfact that I couldnt scrape any residue off, so I left.

now after 400 miles of it really bugging me, I thought I'd get your opinion. I'm in Ontario, OR, headed up to Lewiston to pick up crude turpentine.
    Here's a pic of it. What do your experienced eyes tell you? Thanks fellas. 20161015_102040.jpg 20161015_102045.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    I see this a lot, never had problem yet.
    We have our own tank wash at our yard and ill grab a mop and see if it comes out.
    No odors ill roll with it.
    That product your picking up might remove that stain.

scythe08 Thanks this.
  4. scythe08

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Thanks. It doesn't have an odor. I hopped in and scrubbed it at it with a wet rag and it looked better until it dried then it returned to normal.

I wont comment of my adventures of trying to get back out of it, lol. Boy, put on 30 lbs and suddenly everything becomes complicated lol.

passingthru69, slim shady and tucker Thank this.
  5. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Don't get caught going in the tank, there needs to be 2 people when going inside and I think you need to be certified.

scythe08 Thanks this.
  6. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Yea was wondering about that. Doesn't that fall under confind spaces rules.
    I'm not a tank hauler, just curious.
    Like what happens if you couldn't get out or there was a fume odor that knocks you out

slim shady Thanks this.
  7. scythe08

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I wont makes excuses. I had all the caps open as well as the internal and external valve there were no odors and I knew what the previous product was as well as having my phone with me. Plus I asked the driver working on his truck next to me if he would keep an ear on me. I knew I could get out, I just hadn't planned on blowing my britches out doing it. At least my 'spotter' got his seven chuckles out of it.

passingthru69 and slim shady Thank this.
  8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Since your load itsnt fit for human consumtion you'll be fine.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. scythe08

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Thanks Pattyj. I wasn't sure. I'm worried about the customer being picky. Solvay in Long Beach takes your external valve apart and run their fingers on the inside. if there is any moisture, they fail the trailer and make you go rewash it and dry it. I've had a few even open my air supply lines and check for product in there.

pattyj Thanks this.
  10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Doesn't matter. Stay out of the tank. You can be overcome before you even know you're in trouble. Your rescuers, if they don't know the score, can also be killed. It happens fast. Too fast to defend against.
    We lost a good guy that way a few years back. He, like you, was just trying to do the right thing and help out. Small comfort to his wife and kids.

I'll quit preaching now.

Blackshack46 and chalupa Thank this.
  11. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Going in tanks without proper checks is dangerous and stupid. When I was washing tanks I heard a story of 3 or 4 people dying in one trailer, basically guy 1 goes down, and the rest died trying to rescue him. You can't see, smell, or taste nitrogen, and it will kill you every time. Something like unconsciousness in 30 seconds, dead in a minute.

wsyrob and REO6205 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.