wilson flatbed trailer...tire problem

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by skman, May 28, 2016.

1. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    I've got a 2005 aluminum wilson that I bought last year.
    Recently my inside tire on the one side of the axle has started wearing around the edge but not evenly. More like flat spot..normal..flat spot..normal. all the way around.
    I've also had issue with my ABS light coming on sometimes and then going off. Usually with a brake application...but sometimes with no brake application.
    I'm not sure if the two issues are connected or not.
    Tire inflation are good.
    Does it sound like a bearing issue? Can I take it to a shop to get them to check and tighten it...or should a person just change it out when it's a little loose?
    I was also thinking shocks as my truck was having the same issue on the back drive. Felt the front drive shocks after a couple hundred miles and they were warm. Rear drive shocks were stone cold so I changed them out.
    Just thought I'd ask here. Can't afford to be throwing money at it to see if it's this or that. I'd rather know what it is for sure and fix it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    How is the thrust angle of the axles?

379exhd Thanks this.
  4. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    My guess would be shocks and a alignment issue. Also, since the tires are wore uneven you would really need to replace them too in order to be able to tell if the problem is solved.

5. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    Thanks. I'm heading on days off pretty quick. Think I'll do the shocks because im not sure when they were done last...then test the bearing for movement at the same time. Then throw some used tires on that spot. If it starts again then get an alignment.
    I just wasn't sure if a bearing can be tightened back up to specs if there is some movement...or if you just change it out? I've got no seal leak or anything

6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Deffinattly check bearing play. That can cause wierd tire wear and abs lights also.
    You'll get a million suggestions and or opinions on the proper way to do this .

Me I make sure there is no play at all and just a hair of preload. Always been fine for me.

skman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.