Windshield wash additive

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mitmaks, May 30, 2016.

1. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    They sell windshield wash additive, supposed to remove bugs, dirt better...anyone use it or its just a gimmick?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    I've used it ,didn't know if a difference.

4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Gimmick. I use regular washer fluid, sometimes the Rain X one, and just scrub my windshield every day with a light scouring pad (like Brillo but made of nylon so it won't scratch the glass coating and without built in soap). I will use the truck stop squeege, get the window wet then scrub lightly with the scouring pad, then use the squeeqe again to finish cleaning. A good quality washer fluid will keep the glass clean all day after that. Be sure to clean off you wiper blades as well when you are cleaning you glass by hand, I use a rag daily and once a a week or so I use some rubbing alcohol on a rag to get the grimey buildup off the blades.

Riprap Thanks this.
  5. Riprap

Riprap Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Saginaw, MI
    At the end of each day I'll use a spray bottle with the orange rain x washer fluid, a mesh sponge and squeegee to do all my windows and mirrors. image.jpeg

6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Spray windex on windshield. Fuel truck. Use truck stop squeegee.

Done.

Spray windex on windshield. Wait a few minutes. Use windshield wipers while spraying wiper fluid. Good enough to get most of the bugs off.

No reason to put too much work into it.

7. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Except when its hot, whatever you spray on windshield dries almost instantly.
    And of course those bugs that hit your windshield as well, theyre baked on there, using my wipers just smears them.

8. Fx9

Fx9 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
    Windshield wash additive -aiming for a thunderstorm .

9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Wetting the windshield down first and parking in the shade in the fuel island helps with that, if things are set up properly.

Windex does wonders for those baked on bugs, though, it really does. Works much better than a lot of other glass cleaners.

ncmickey Thanks this.
  10. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Those wipers that scrub work well and last long. They're pricy but match it with rainx, ....good stuff. Also good for scrubbing frost during winter time!

11. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    That Orange rainx is great stuff. I use it in the winter too. My blades don't coat with ice as quickly and few swipes clear. Bug build up comes off easier. After you've cleaned your windshield get inside and turn wipers and get a coat ing of it on there bugs will come off even easier time

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.