Wood floors in trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Bullhauler9, Oct 18, 2010.

1. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Lots of opinions, but only a few of us running it by the sounds of it.
    First thing I do on any truck I buy, remove seats and install the floating floor right over the carpet etc.
    Refit drivers seat, drill holes for passenger seat and cap off airline, put the dog bed on the passenger side, go trucking.
    I haul machinery and windmill blades, so see a lot of gravel, dirt, mud, etc. My floor last @4yrs before I replace it. Cost is @$80, and 3hrs of time.
    Super easy to keep clean, doesn't make the truck any louder inside (can't figure that particular one out myself), and keeps the truck cleaner in my experience.
    Brush out with hand brush, wipe with baby wipe or Lysol wipe, looks brand new. Never had anything but compliments from folks that have actually seen it.

Martin

blacklabel and bergy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I've done a lot of trailer floor repairs and replacements, which has little to do with what you're doing, but we used Floor Restore on them. When the floors were starting to get dried out and weak, we put the stuff on and it made the floor last a few years longer. It held up to forklifts and skids. I used it on a bar top and it looks just like the pour on finish, but a lot tougher. The smallest kit I've used was 2 gallons, I don't know if they offer smaller. For my bar, I used left over that my job was going to throw away.

http://www.keypolymer.com/transportation-products/original/

4. blacklabel

blacklabel Heavy Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    MO
    Leftlane, are you using laminate that snaps together or hardwood?

5. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Laminate that snaps together.

Martin

6. blacklabel

Nov 6, 2011
    MO
    Thank you sir.

Are you leaving space on edges or together real tight?

Ive been in houses with to much slop in it for me and figure its best to do it tight.

7. KAK

KAK Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Ne
    I didn't put mine in my truck, they were there when I bought it. I love'em. They look nice and are easy to keep clean. I put bathroom carpets in mine. The little ones that go in front of a toilet fit perfect in front of the seats, 2 larger square ones, one between the seats and one in the bunk. Take the carpets out, shake the dirt out, sweep the floor real quick, put the carpets back, easy deal. I take my carpets home from time to time and throw them in the washer.

I am a pig hauler so I spent a lot of time on the gravel and mud. IF I ever own another truck it will have the same set up.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    blacklabel Thanks this.
  8. blacklabel

Nov 6, 2011
    MO
    #### nasty stinkin pigs, and no it dont smell like money. Cow ##### does.

9. KAK

KAK Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Ne
    Come on now it isn't that bad. We haul only confinement pigs and have to have a clean trailer, boots, gloves, coveralls etc every load. Plus not everyone will do it so we have a pretty good gig :biggrin_25522:

10. blacklabel

Nov 6, 2011
    MO
    Id do it, just rather pull cattle. They know how to get off the truck. And im sure the confinement people would frown on using a dog to move them.

11. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    I run the edges tight. I run it right up to the front too, then put a finishing trim across there.
    Have a rubber backed mat for in front of the bed, and that is it. The dog bed is in the passenger side, so nothing needed there. Never had a problem with wet boots etc myself.

Martin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.