Worked There Briefly... but They Were Good

Discussion in 'Barr-Nunn' started by Southeast Trucker Mike, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Southeast Trucker Mike

Southeast Trucker Mike Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2014
    North GA Mountains
    I worked for Barr-Nunn for two weeks during September, 2015. It "was" going pretty well... but I was "released" after two weeks for a VERY MINOR (no CSA points, no ticket), very "bad-luck" accident that happened five days in. Their "policy" regarding incidents during the first 90 days just broke my heart but, although I think some of their policies truly don't make long-term sense, I definitely WOULD recommend them given my brief, 4k miles experience driving for them as OTR.

Compared to other companies in their size range (and MOST others), they DO pay well. This is probably due, in part, to the fact that they do not hire drivers with less than 1yr driving experience. They WILL extensively check your three year work history and, if a previous employer decides to be a JERK (hello, CRST!) and take 30 days to respond to them, then you will NOT be hired until they do respond. My hire was delayed three weeks due to this policy... even though subsequent employers responded immediately with confirmations. For a person with 15mos experience like me, I believe their pay level was VERY good... and their computation of mileage for loads WAS accurate and fair.

They initially placed me in equipment that had problems (no climate control fan to sleeper berth), but quickly got me into a nearly new Freightliner (within 3 days). I got a flat tire during week one (bad stem valve as it turned out), and they were QUICKLY responsive to my breakdown. Regarding communication via QualComm, my "team leader's" response time was very fast... compared to where I had been employed previously. Also, the team leader seemed "intelligent", spoke "good" english and was quickly responsive to my questions and needs. He was knowledgeable about my loads and did a good job in keeping me moving.

This company was very good about notification of "next loads" prior to completion of the current load... which was SUCH a refreshing change from my previous employers. They didn't force a 34hr reset when my 7 day totals were getting high... they had me "relay" loads many times to keep me moving. Their macros on the QC were far less repetitive than prior employers... and quick/easy to complete. Trans-Flo of load information was "simple" and the paychecks were correct. Their benefits, bonus plans and home time policies were VERY generous compared to previous employers. Also... their "customers" (shippers/receivers) treated me so much better than my previous employer in terms of quickly getting me in and out- detention is paid after ONE hour!

I was absolutely SHOCKED to be released by them for what was such a minor, possibly unavoidable accident I had after only five days. There was absolutely ZERO damage to BN equipment, and minor surface scratches to the front bumper of a car I "rubbed" with rear tandem tire on an steeply curved, two lane exit ramp at about 10mph. While I "own" and regret the incident... the responding police officer agreed that damage was so minimal that he was surprised the other driver demanded it be reported. I understand BN's reason for the dismissal policy, but I wish they would have considered my otherwise safe history over 125K+ miles previously driven and given me a chance to PROVE myself and "earn-back" any cost of the incident they incurred. I honestly believe I'd have driven for them for a long time... but their safety director didn't give me that chance.

If you get the opportunity to drive for BN, do it. They seem to value their drivers... given the good pay, benefits, miles and responsiveness to driver needs. I'd be pleased if my next employer offered a comparable driving situation to BN's. My only caveat is to PRAY for good luck and no incidents during your initial tenure with them! Remember, too, that my experience with them was very brief... but it was positive.

Rebelj1022 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Kudos to you for not allowing their treatment of you to cloud your vision of the company, as it takes a mature individual to do so. Hopefully you're able to find something you're just as happy with in the near future and have learned from be experience.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where are you working now?
    What about Tribe Transport; they're Georgia based.

Southeast Trucker Mike Thanks this.
  5. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    I guess they do "Barr-Some".

Rebelj1022, S M D, 77smartin and 3 others Thank this.
  6. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Barr Nunn...sounds like something the Catholic Church does as punishment for a "dirty habit"

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Haya, RR-guy. Like said before, awesome you still have such a positive outlook. Keep on TRUCKING... be safe, and you'll find something better meant for you, anyway!

Southeast Trucker Mike and SHOJim Thank this.
  8. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Scrape my personal vehicle minor or major, and I'm gonna call my insurance company. If the insurance company tells me they need a Police report in order to process the claim, I'm calling the cop's. Simple as that.

9. Southeast Trucker Mike

Jun 9, 2014
    North GA Mountains
    Now THAT is really funny! However, I can only speak for myself... so let's say "Barr-One".

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  10. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    I applaud how you handled it.

Southeast Trucker Mike Thanks this.
  11. Southeast Trucker Mike

Jun 9, 2014
    North GA Mountains
    Thanks for the tip, Chinatown... I've seen many of your posts in other threads and you are always very helpful.

I'll check out Tribe... but I'm not absolutely needing to remain "based" in GA. I would relocate for a great opportunity to earn good money. Also, I'm seriously considering "team" driving... especially anything that would get me WEST to see the Rockies, deserts and other places I've never seen. What I dislike most about driving so far is the waiting between loads... team would keep me moving, right?

I've team driven in the past, and I realize it is a double-edged sword... the other person truly makes for either a positive or negative situation. Either way... got to get moving again soon. Any further tips are always appreciated... thanks, again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.