Worker's Comp Ins for O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PghNRdu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. PghNRdu

PghNRdu Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Hello. Am in the beginning stages of purchasing my own rig and heading out on my own. Was wondering if I needed to purchase worker's comp insurance for myself. Live in North Carolina and the law is a little confusing. Didn't know if anyone out there had any insight on this. Also, what about in the event someone was driving under my DOT authority (1 or 2 enployees)? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    Pretty sure the Carolina's both require Work Comp. Call an insurance agent and ask if you need work comp or can you get by with Occ/Acc.

PghNRdu Thanks this.
  4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Looks like for North Carolina if you are under your own authority and will be operating the truck yourself, you will not need WC. But if you are an independent contractor, will lease independent contractors under you, or have any employees, you will need W.C.

Occupational Accident Insurance does not meet the Worker's comp requirements in North Carolina either.

http://www.ic.nc.gov/faqs.html

PghNRdu Thanks this.
  5. PghNRdu

PghNRdu Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Thank you. The term of "certain owner operators" was throwing me off and needed another pair of eyes. Appreciate your response.

6. CruisingAlong

CruisingAlong Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    I'm an OO out of NC and no workers comp.

PghNRdu Thanks this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I had a broker asking me once if I had a WC. I explained him that I am one guy operation and I do not need that, but he still said "Sorry, we cant use you". I wonder what was that about, never had anybody else asking me that question

8. CruisingAlong

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    It was about Insurance and fear of you getting hurt on their property. I've had to sign wc waivers with carriers but thus far hasn't stopped me from getting loads.

9. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Somebody posted a article,a couple weeks ago. It was about a NC based carrier that had no wc ins. The injured driver sued the broker and won,don't remember the $$ amount.

10. CruisingAlong

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    The driver sued the broker? What did the broker do to injure the driver? Wow, this Is such a litigious society. It's no wonder insurance and medical care costs and through the roof!

Whatever happened to being responsible for your own actions?

whoopNride Thanks this.
  11. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Don't know how to post a link from my phone. It's in the freight broker forum titled"interesting article"posted by mattvogelpohl.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.