Working for Schneider as a veteran.

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by snowsoldier, May 17, 2015.

1. snowsoldier

snowsoldier Bobtail Member

May 17, 2015
    Little about me, retired Infantry vet, injured in Afghanistan so I had to leave the Army after 8 years. Just wondering what it's like working for the pumpkin as a Vet. I know I start from the bottom and I am not looking for any special treatment, just want to know what the basics about the work are such as what miles realistically I will get as a rookie driver, I am not concerned about where they send me I just want to work. I just got my CDL and all the endorsements a few days ago now just waiting for the VA to unscrew some paperwork so I can go train I was looking into the 7 on 2 off out of St Louis where I live, if anyone has done that setup up and has any pros and cons to share about it would be appreciated. Also any advice would be appreciated about trucking and the job. Thanks again for the responses.

irishredneck77, 123456 and TennMan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Schneider a good company, I do know they have a program for vets bit I can't say how it is because I'm an IC.

My advice is if you have questions ask we'll help if we can. Unfortunately I can't on this topic.

Good luck and Thank you again.

mickimause and 123456 Thank this.
  4. softail

softail Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    Thank you for your service. Get in touch with warhippy. Both he and his son are veterans and team with SNI. Warhippy can give you all the details a recruiter can't.

Warhippy may be here soon. He drives days.

mickimause Thanks this.
  5. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    From what I understand, sni is a good co for vets to start with...sni is pro military from what I've seen...

mickimause Thanks this.
  6. snowsoldier

May 17, 2015
    Thanks a lot for the responses, that's why I have been scouring the Web looking for info (GI Jobs, etc) and SNI always appears as a veteran friendly employer plus one of their hubs is only 40 mins from my house so on the 7/2 I am interested in I can take the truck home. If need be I will run more days and the wife will need to understand it. I have done research on the VA apprenticeship and that's a good set up to start. I know the deal with recruiters and I laughed when I was talking to mine, told him don't BS me and just give it to me straight about the pay and miles, I will be starting at .34 CPM that's fine to start and it's about the same that I have been quoted by other carriers that hire rookies. My big thing is miles, gotta run a lot of them to make money now that's the part where I am not holding my breath when it comes to what the recruiter says which he says they have more loads than drivers out of Edwardsville, IL. That's where I have been having trouble finding info and appreciate any and all advice from you guys. Whats the policy on Inverters I know that I can't use direct battery ones but are small cigarette lighter ones allowed? That's mainly because I have a CPAP machine and I do have the 12v adapter but also want to have a backup power source for it. As far as creature comforts and things like that I have been talking to my father and brother who have been in the business for over 15 years a piece doing company work and now are owner operators. The one thing I dislike is the fact I cannot conceal carry which sucks but hey I can't change the rules. Anyways thanks again for any info you can share.

irishredneck77 and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  7. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Being in the St Louis region, you shouldn't have trouble with freight. ..good area..

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  8. lmcclure1220

lmcclure1220 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Walnut, Ms
    I started with them March 27th. Since then I'm looking at close to 20K miles. I'm OTR with a dry box and have been Texas to Florida to New Jersey to Wisconsin and back a few times. They treat me well and I have no complaints.

9. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    welcome back to the real world grunt, I did the VA apprenticeship myself. Can't help you with the 7/2 gig for miles but realistically starting out, plan about 350 miles a day until you start getting the hang of things. SNI is an excellent starter company and Eville is a good place to be based from. Don't plan on taking your truck home for at least 6 months, but that is DBL dependent too. PM me if you have any questions and read DFO's saga, that dude shoulda been a journalist

mickimause Thanks this.
  10. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    Cpap users are well taken care of. Supplies at no cost and they have a portable 12v battery system they issue for us.

.34 cpm to start aint bad compared to the .29 I started at. It will rise a bit during the first year. Or did anyway. Newer hire would have to confirm that.

Fyi 40 min away might not be far enough for them to allow truck takehome. Really that would end up being between your and your "dbl" to be safe , expect to have to leave truck at edwardsville.

11. snowsoldier

May 17, 2015
    That's fine about the truck, from what I have been told from the people at Edwardsville is that I will be allowed to take it home, either way I am not complaining. I just have a habit I carried over from the Army of wanting to be as well prepared as I can possibly be while I sit around waiting for the VA and the DOT to stop their genital measuring contest over my medical records.

mickeyrat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.