Working for smaller companies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by John Dewart, Jul 25, 2016.

1. John Dewart

John Dewart Medium Load Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    what kind of questions should be asked in addition to the normal ones for the larger carriers? Anything I should look out for? Pay seems better and so do the trucks. This will only be my second company I will be working for, so I am still fairly new.

Thanks guys

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    They might be able to tell you what type of loads you will be hauling... We haul a lot of different stuff but we have several customers that we haul a lot for... So a smaller company might be able to give you a bit of insight in that area. Megas, unless dedicated, not so much.

John Dewart Thanks this.
  4. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    It can vary widely. If you checked out their equipment, that's a good start. Maybe checkout the Trailers as well as the trucks.

Otherwise, many smaller companies exist because they fill a niche serving one or two local shippers. If this is the case, it might be a good idea to research them as well. I've had a few cases where customers like that served by small trucking outfits kept overloading trailers and wasting my time.

Dominick253 and John Dewart Thank this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You also usually get treated better when you are 1 of 10 and not 1 of 500 (home time, fast equipment fixing, e.tc)

6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    There is a always a bunch of shysters running smaller companies out there. Some make the mega-crap companies look like saints. Ask a lot of questions and expect good answers, don't just jump into anything.

Three questions I always ask that you can determine most anything you want to know from the company:

How do you pay?
    Who do you haul for?
    What is you safety with the DOT like?

If they studder on the last one just jump ship now. If you think about the answers to those question rationally with clear eyes a lot of company information will come to you.

For example: If you told they haul refrigerated for major companies and pay by the mile - means you will be stiffed on detention waiting at grocery warehouse.

When you figure for who, doing what, and their safety record you can often connect the dots and figure what the job is worth and what they should be paying you.

Too many go to these small companies with the idea they are an upgrade from the mega they were just at. Many are worse.

7. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    The 2 most important questions i ask are
    1. What is your retention like? (How long have others in my prospective job stuck around)

2. Why are you hiring? (Someone get fired? Retired? Getting busier? )

8. John Dewart

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    So many replies so quickly! He pays by tripak? I have no idea how that works. He's getting busier, supposedly, and has 6 trucks under him. I didn't ask about the safety part

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  9. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
  10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I've always said that working for a company that hauls it's own product is better than a company that needs to rely on others for a load. As far as a smaller company I'd be worried about benefits. I look for a company that has sound benefits not just the every day 401K. It's nice but if I had a choice to work for a company that paid a little less but had great benefits I would take that one. But of course I'd be looking at a company were I could retire from. If I work for a company on a short term then benefits can be the same or even less. The point is to get something out of the company no matter what. It can be experience or something that you haven't tried and it sounds good.

11. John Dewart

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    I mean I'm looking to only get another year of experience and then get home, or explore other options. I'm only 23, and I have never signed up for benefits and this is the last year I'm gonna be skipping out on them. It's also step deck which I've never done before so that's cool.

95821trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.