working hours??

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by bigdaddy cool, Jun 25, 2015.

1. bigdaddy cool

bigdaddy cool Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada,
    a fellow trucker was telling me I can start my day at midnight with 10 hours off then start driving at 10:00 and drive till23:00 then work until 14:00 hours the next day and then take 10 hours off and not have any violations as long as my driving does not exceed the 13 on the first day.

I don't believe this but i am having trouble finding that it is not. Any help?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmcfee

pmcfee Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Are you asking if you can work two shifts of 14 hours consecutively because you have crossed into the next day on your log? your question is a little hard to track. you can only work the 14 hours (13 hrs driving in Canada/11 hours driving in U.S) in ANY 24 hour period. so using your example, if you started at 1000 am and drove until 2300 but then continued to work until 1400 of the following day, you would be in violation as of midnight as you would have worked 14 hours at that point. you would be required to do a daily reset as of midnight after starting at 1000 am. but I am not sure if I have understood your question correctly.

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    You can work on-duty not driving as long as you want as far as the trucking regs are concerned, although the local province my have limits as far as working hours are concerned.

5. bigdaddy cool

Feb 25, 2015

Are you sure it is ANY 24 hour period and not a calendar 24 hour period meaning things clear up at midnight?

I am asking about driving 13 working on duty not driving 1 then midnight hits and I work on duty not driving another 14 then take 10 hours of and do it again

6. pmcfee

pmcfee Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2014

(from MTO Hours of Service manual, so this may be specific to Ontario only)

2. Mandatory off-duty time

• After a period of at least eight hours off-duty, a driver cannot drive more than 13 hours.
    • After a period of at least eight hours off-duty, a driver cannot drive after having been on-duty for 14 hours.
    • After a period of at least eight hours off-duty, a driver cannot drive after 16 hours has elapsed.
    So I interpret this to mean that regardless of your start time, once you are on duty for 14 hours, even though it crosses two calendar days, you are no longer permitted to drive.

7. bigdaddy cool

Feb 25, 2015
    yes. But I am asking if there is anything saying I am not allowed to work on duty not driving

8. pmcfee

pmcfee Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2014

This might be a question for the oil field guys because i am pretty sure I remember them saying they are on duty for days at a time. But why would you want to be, unless of course you are paid to sleep. :)

bigdaddy cool Thanks this.
  9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You can work on duty not driving as long as you want ... The hours of service only say when you are not allowed to drive.

10. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I though on duty not driving still counts against your overall on duty 14 hour clock.

11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    It does, and also against your 70, but it doesn't say you aren't allowed to work more than 14 hours a day, you just aren't allowed to drive after 14 hours on duty

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.