Working in the Oil Fields

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Ernest82, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Dodgeman

Dodgeman Light Load Member

May 18, 2012
    Northeast Pa.
    I got a job right out of school within the gas industry. Problem is, I got in with the wrong guy. He was a con artist. didn't pay OT pay for work over 40 hours, and I wasn't even driving, was sitting on containment sites in a tanker truck doing clean up. The money was good, but after 80 hours a week just sitting in a truck it gets boring. I want to drive. I got my cdl to DRIVE. I am currently looking to getting into a " GOOD " Company driving sand cans, or water tankers. I live in NEPA and the business is booming around here. Good luck to you.

wowo6057 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JahB

JahB Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2008
    WASHINGTON/OREGON border
    SNI is no longer taking recent grads. door closed. They are still hiring with experience.

wowo6057 Thanks this.
  4. Tankerjockey 3342

Tankerjockey 3342 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2012
    Dickinson ND
    I've worked up here in the Bakken as a oil hauler the last 9 months. Yes there is a real boom and EVERYBODY is deperate for anybody holdin that magical A on their license. Winch trucks, vac trucks, water- production and fresh, sand, hot oilers, crude haulers, rig movers and the list goes on. Most places up here will do interviews over the phone but i came up here and did mine in person and was hired on the spot as a crude hauler. I had 5 yrs in tankers before coming up here is why i started in that position. I will say the oilfield is the ONLY place i know of that a new driver can start out at a 6 figure salery driving a company truck. Thats the good part. Here is the other part. As far as driving goes it is completely starting over. I basically tossed my 11 yrs out the window when i came here. Just last night i ran a 105500 lb tanker 150 on pot holed scoria (dirt) roads. The roads are rough! The winters are cold! If it rains your chaining up and then takin your now really heavy tanker off the side of very steep hills. I started out with 33 drivers in my class. There are 4 of us left. The rest decided it wasnt for them for whatever reason. Thats about the normal turnover rate so ive been told. But for me I love it here. For me this is one of the most challenging things ive ever done. Its literally a new adventure everyday. If you can handle increased heart rates and white knuckles from time to time and want to chase that black gold give it a shot. Plenty enough companies up here would give you a shot. Just bring your A game if you do. You'll need it. Hope that helps

wowo6057 Thanks this.
  5. Ben Gunn

Ben Gunn Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Forgotten Coast
    As I've said before, West Texas has the most opportunities for new drivers. I've only been out here for 3 months so my experience is far from extensive. I can tell you that driving a vacuum truck is not difficult work. Yes the hours are long and that does cause some burnout, but there's nothing difficult about hooking up a couple 4 inch hoses and turning a valve or two. If you're driving a kill truck you'll have to drag a couple high pressure hoses around or worst case scenario, rig up 100 feet of iron pipe. After that you'll sit on your butt the rest of the day.

If you work for Halliburton, Shlumberger, or any of the fraccing companies you will work hard. Driving is a very small part of the job for them. If you work for Nabors, Basic or any of the servicing companies you'll most likely drive a vacuum, winch or kill truck. Any of these larger companies will put you through mandatory safety training and give you your green hat. Now everyone knows you're a worm and will keep an eye on you to make sure you don't do anything stupid. At least that's been my experience. That said, we've had 2 deaths in the Permian Basin within the past week. A Derrick man fell to his death from the top of a drilling rig, and someone else was found on the ground next to their truck at a well site. H2S is suspected, but don't know if it was there when he arrived or if he opened the well while down wind, also don't know if he was wearing his monitor.

6. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

Tankerjockey makes some great points about ND which is why I decided to come to Texas. Texas is producing more oil than any state and will for the foreseeable future. The Eagle Ford shale is creating so much opportunity. I'm in South Texas and there is plenty of work here. You can also find housing, the cost of living is reasonable, and the town I'm in, Victoria, has places to eat and shop. The work I'm in, crude hauling, is pretty easy and I don't even get that dirty. I will not make 6 figures this year but I only work about 60 hours a week, enjoy what I'm doing, and I sleep in my own bed every night. I meet OTR drivers all the time who love the oil patch and they are THANKFUL they are off the road. If you have a CDL and a clean background you WILL get hired. Just don't give up and keep banging on the doors until they hand you the keys!!!

wowo6057 and none Thank this.
  7. pneeleman

pneeleman Bobtail Member

May 25, 2012
    Mt. Carmel, Utah
    Hi there. My husband has been working in North Dakota where they promised $100-$120k a year, but truth is he has a lot of down days sitting in a trailer. Then the housing is scarce and expensive. Even though the pay is lower in Texas, do you feel like the insurnace benfits, lower housing expenses, lower cot of living, etc. makes up for lower pay? How do you do in the humid heat? He's used to the cold, but not extreme heat. Thanks!

8. pneeleman

pneeleman Bobtail Member

May 25, 2012
    Mt. Carmel, Utah
    Hey rock doctor, are there positions where you work more like a 16 hours shift a day and make a little more? Are there decent family friendly communities around where you live? do you think you would make more hauling in Victoria or San Antonio? Or is it about the same? And, what is the best way for an experienced crude hauler to find work? Craigslist? or other?

9. chirp63

chirp63 Bobtail Member

Anybody have any info on jobs in West Virginia's fields.

10. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

I sent you a private message, pneeleman

11. BlackGoddess2011

BlackGoddess2011 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Hey Everybody!

I have been on many threads for weeks reading and researching oilfield jobs for my husband and I have to say many of you great guys and gals have given a huge treasure trove of information for me and the hubby. We have eggs in the current baskets, Key Energy, Sanjel, Nabors, and Sun Coast. The recruiters have called my hubby but at this point no takers. Two have asked him how quickly can he make it to Texas since as he has 9 months experience and squeaky clean MVR! The problem is, he currently has a job with a carrier and he wanted to leave on a decent note. For those of you who have been there done this please give some " In your face good advice". Thanks in advance to all that respond.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.