worth the coin?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jimboh121, Jan 15, 2017.

1. jimboh121

jimboh121 Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Hi guys, well I have been around this forum for a while now, constantly asking myself if i can put up with company drama every day... Well I have been casually searching for a truck and the right company to pull for as an owner operator. My idea of fun is having a nice rig, tractor and trailer, that being said i love oldschool custom pete's.

https://www.bismanonline.com/mandan_nd/1997_peterbilt_379_b

thats the link to the classified, But if you can't view it here goes,
    97 379 63 inch sleeper flat top, all new interior, new paint, loads of custom cosmetic parts, he's got over 60 grand into it within the last year and has paperwork to prove it, 30000 miles on the clutch and motor, tranny has 200k. He said there ain't a whistle or a rattle going down the road. asking price is 75k. what do you guys think?

Also, this truck appeals to me because it has all the custom stuff done.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Seems like a strictly emotional purchase. Do you want to look good or make money? If the first then get for it.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I agree with Tallmon, emotional.

The money is a bit steep. I brought a good Pete or two across the auction house in my day that I found to be just as tight as they say and not abused much selling for half in the 30's I would have bought one in particular if there was money to do it. The only other time I purchased a truck was a midroof 120 freightliner for a lease training outfit decades ago.

Ive always understood that if a door is shut and something is not quite right to pass through for whatever reason, don't do it.

75K is a great deal of coin. Assuming 4 years term you will be paying several thousand per month. Fuel and payroll to a driver will triple this amount. Then you need 1099 for your taxes every so often down to the penny. Then there is insurance. Cargo loss, accidents if any. And always putting aside money against a failure big enough to stop you.

I hate to pop your bubble a little bit. But if you are going to do this, commit no matter how rough it is in the morning. Get up and run.

That truck is nice I think, but it's a little bit too steep. My last thought I leave with this... there was a great deal of money put into it by the previous owner, you generally can never get all the money you pour into a vehicle. It's the way it is.

Lepton1, jbatmick and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  5. Dye Guardian

Dye Guardian Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North
    It might not be the best starter truck IMO but I don't know your situation either. You could buy something closer to what this truck was before all the money was put into it. Learn the business, many fail. When you start making a consistant profit and you know what you're doing, you can reinvest that money back into the rig if you want and build it the way you like.

Having a bigger truck payment (assuming it's financed) just for chrome and paint makes things harder for yourself. On top of that, many will say absolutely do not buy a truck if you don't already have work lined up for it.

Bottom line, this is not a starter rig.

Is it worth the price? Maybe to someone.

6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I took a second look here is one photo that caught my eye. There is a set of bolts closer together under what appears to be a vertical weld line covered by the paint. I do not see Diamond plates on the outside of this weld joint inside or outside of the frame. Where I suspect it has been joined with another donor frame to make a long wheelbase rig.

https://www.bismanonline.com/mandan_nd/1997_peterbilt_379_b

That gives me a pause. I can tell you right now trying to back that monster into any typical dock or say Jessup MD Truckstop lot will be a pain. You will be working it's steering end to end stop to stop hanging out of the door half the time.

It's a beautiful rig and clearly designed to do the work showed by the trailer that is on it now. If I was a bull hauler and it's unlimited already contracted to buyers in Chicago and running to say Fort Collins or something I'll buy it and stick someone good into it.

But you cannot be running something like this in ordinary... er... potato chips or something around the USA and not in the East coast very well. It is not to say you cannot do it, but it makes no sense.

Follow me so far?

bluerider, jimboh121 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Good eye @x1Heavy that frame definitely looks like its been stretched. Doesn't scare me as long as its been plated on the inside. If it hasn't, a steel shop can bend a pair of 5 foot long x 1/4" thick sleeves for a couple hundred bucks.

tallmon and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What is with people and the huge gap, really do they want to waste money making a fashion statement?

If I was going to look for something like this to be a show truck, well maybe, not into that type, a lot of other great looking trucks out there in my opinion but it to me is only worth $40k tops, nothing more.

bluerider and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Might be my old eyes,but that looks like a 48" sleeper.

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is a possible future conversion removing the old sleeper you see there and building say a American Eagle Apartment complete with shower, house power etc. I see that truck as intended to be a show truck when the days of bullhauling are over.

tallmon Thanks this.
  11. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    In the ####eyed picture of the right side, I see what looks like several cans of Walmart rattle can black spray paint lying on the ground by the truck, which tells me that he just painted the frame and running gear to make it look better for the pictures.
    In other words, it is made to look bling, but not necessarily be done well

I would run from this truck personally, but that is just my warning bells that trigger on this type of customizer...

RollingRecaps and tallmon Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.