Would this truck be good for hauling 3/4 cars?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Sharno, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Sharno

Sharno Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    I'm thinking about getting into car hauling, would this truck be a good start? Also what would I need to do to it for it to be ready to go (besides adding a 5th wheel). Thanks all

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Certainly a lot better for the job than the 1 tons most people use.

I'd suggest a lot of current research into that segment. The number of people working that market skyrocketed a handful of years ago, and I doubt the amount of cars needing shipped increased to match the supply of new operators. That combination always leads to rates dropping fast and hard.

4. Sharno

Sharno Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Yeah I would be doing a bunch of research before diving in, I actually have a friend that just started his business hauling cars few months ago and he seem to be doing well. We are in south Florida so he runs stuff from Miami

5. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I live in Sarasota, just across the state from you, and have seen the rates for over ten years. maybe you got contacts with better paying stuff than I ever saw, but from what they have fallen to I wouldn't put them on my truck.

If you don't mind saying so, what kind of rate are you expecting to get?

DrDieselUSA and brian991219 Thank this.
  6. Sharno

Sharno Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    I'm not sure to be honest, I gotta talk to my friend and see what he's getting.

Do u hot shot out of Sarasota??

7. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Spyder speaks the truth.

People started seeing what car haulers were making at the time and saw dollar signs; nowadays every Tom, Dick, and Harry thinks he can get a underpowered dualie and a rickety 3-car wedge and strike it rich. The reality is that you'll have to hustle your butt off just to have enough money to be broke. And maybe less than half these guys are even doing it right.

8. Sharno

Sharno Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Good to know, my friend bought a brand new dodge 3500 cummins, with a brand new Kauffman 3/4 car wedge. So at least he has good equipment.

Well I'll pose this question to you, what could you transport that would bring in decent money if cars is over saturated? But besides all that I'd really like to know what this truck would need in order to pull a trailer regardless of what is on it

9. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    No. I run a full sized semi with a flat. A decade ago i would get cars going north as my"get out of Florida load". They never paid great, but wasn't bad for Florida. But then everyone and their brother went and bought a one ton with a wedge trailer and drive the rates down so bad i actually made more money just deadheading 400 miles to savannah to get a normal load.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  10. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Assuming that truck is mechanically sound, the only thing it NEEDS is a bed and a fifth wheel. I would put a normal work truck flat deck on it with a fifth wheel. Some angle iron, and a weekend spent fabricating, add a fifth wheel and your good to go.

11. Sharno

Sharno Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Cool, would u swap a bigger fuel tank? Not sure the capacity of the one on there but it looks quite small.

Do u run hot shot out of Sarasota spyder?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.