would you owner operate green if you could

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by I-10, Oct 3, 2015.

1. I-10

I-10 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Hello all,
    I am seriously considering leaving my current job and buying my own truck. I have been on tugboats since I have been 17. Have been a boat captain for 8 years, and every day spent out here makes me hate the industry that much more. I use to love it out here, now I dread packing my bags for another trip.
    I am seriously considering buying a truck and hitting the road. I know what it's like to be gone from the wife, I leave her at home for 30 days at a time now. I know what it's like to miss birthdays and holidays, I haven't seen Christmas in 5 years, and haven't been home for my child's first 3 birthdays. It's not being gone that I hate with the tug boat industry but the idiots that I have to constantly work with.
    With all that being said, would you start green as an owner operator? If I make a career move, no way will I go back to a big company and have the same b.s to deal with day in and out.
    Looking at buying a used truck, pre- 2006. Good idea or bad idea?
    looking at Pulling flatbeds. When the oil field is pumping in the Gulf south ( it isn't right now) I could stay close to home, but I'm not scared of long trips.
    The wife wants to ride along. Is this a good idea or not?
    How hard is it to find loads starting out? Is being a new driver going to keep me from getting loads?
    Any other advice for a green driver that wants to buy his own?
    When I say buy, I mean pay for. I don't plan on financing. I already paid off my house, and have no other bills. If I buy the truck out right is the insurance cheaper?

Thanks for any advice in advace.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    It absolutely can be done. it all comes down to if you have the right skill set and if you can think like a business man and make business decisions instead of emotion driven decisions.

I-10 Thanks this.
  4. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Have you read @double yellow 's thread? I'd go 2003 or older avoiding egr.

5. I-10

I-10 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2015
    I have been thinking on this for 3 years. Have been saving money to buy a truck for 2. In the last 3 years I have worked at 3 different boat companies thinking I will find the right company and will be happy agian, it has yet to happen. I think 3 years ago it was an emotional decision. Now it is either going to happen or I'm going to start digging ditches. My sanity depends on it.

Dominick253 and blacklabel Thank this.
  6. I-10

I-10 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Not yet, but I will now. Thanks

Dominick253 and MJ1657 Thank this.
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I guess you'll have to start with the CDL, and paying for your own training will be necessary.

If you lease on to a company (use their authority), then it's up to their insurance if they'll take you on.

Your own authority - not sure what the insurance would be like.

Matter of choice, but pre 2003 is good advice, unless you need fancy new stuff. Old stuff cleans up good.

Yes, it'll be a welcome change from the water, but I'm sorry to break this to you, - we're swamped with idiots in this one too.

8. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    If you can be bothered with all the reading, I documented my own journey of buying a truck and leasing on with a company - I find more and more though, that people want all their information handed to them in a concise 4 page booklet and anything more laborioius than that is simply too difficult.

Then they either re-appear to tell the story of the mistakes they made, or slink off into the distance.

9. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    If you've never driven truck before, it's not a bad idea to get your first year out of the way on a companies dime. Start out with something specialized like open deck or tankers.

TripleSix and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  10. I-10

I-10 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Pre 2003 is fine with me. I do not need new things and fancy gadgets to be happy.
    There is a driving school 10 minutes from my house "costal truck driving" that I plan to attend. Also my farther is a retired o/o that says he will ride along the first trip or 3 to try to help me learn the ropes.
    I am going to try to get my own authority. Haven't been able to get an insurance quote with out actually owing the truck yet.

11. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    All the info is on this forum - own authority - everything.

Get a VIN off a truck you'll be looking at and call for a quote, have them run your license, which IS squeaky clean.

I-10 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.