would you run this tire

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by gunner76, Aug 30, 2015.

1. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    got a tire that is wearing pretty uneven on the edge but the rest of the tires are still decent. outside of the potential vibration issues would you feel safe running this tire? A tire guy told me once that when you see the light colored rubber the tire needs to be replace ASAP, but I know he is trying to sell tires and don't know if that's true or not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't have another used tire that will match up tread depth wise and the tires still have a little life left in them but this tires bugs me.

Second question. on the Bridgestone 726ELs do you usually replace the tire when it is worn even with the two rows of "teeth"? I know that is more than the 2/32nd the DOT allows but when the tires gets to the teeth I think the usable life gone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CREASEY TRANS

CREASEY TRANS Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I would replace it cause it gonna be wire soon and then you get a blow out or ticket also I would check on a full allinment but that just my opinon

gunner76 Thanks this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Rotate your tires may be get more miles than you think.
    If you have virgin casing. You tire shop might buy them. That's what I do with mine. Pull them a little early and sell for used/casing credit. Usually get $100 each when traded in with some tread still on them. Local drivers. usually construction equipment, love them and the cheap price.
    I'm with Creasey, change unless you're running local.

gunner76 Thanks this.
  5. gunner76

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    thanks guys. I'll call my tire guy tomorrow and see what he says. Normally I would just pull the tires off and get new at this stage but I'm trying to run my stuff a bit longer and get more miles out of them.

I did have an alignment done after these tires started showing uneven wear but I think the damage must have been done because this tire kept wearing uneven. I also used to only rotate front to back which didn't help things either, I've since changed to a front/back and side/side rotation.

6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Once uneven wear is visible to the eye it will only progress quickly from there. Yes the tire is still legal and safe to run for now but you should be looking to replace it fairly soon. I would have a three axle alignment done, check the shocks for wear, and the wheel bearing for proper adjustment (wheel end runout). The odd, wave wear on the edge of a drive tire is usually indicative of either bad shocks or wheel end play, most likely wheel end play if it is only one of the two tires on the same wheel end. Xsetra has good advice about selling the casings if they are virgins, I do that with mine because recaps don't wear well on my car hauler, so we get virgins every time.

7. gunner76

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    I did just replace the shocks and they were bad. This is the second set of shocks that these tires have seen but I ran the tires with the shocks that were on the truck for awhile before replacing with new.

What do you mean by wheel end play, If the bearing allows the hub to move in/out?

8. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    The axle will be removed and a end play gauge should be used to ck. the end play of wheel bearings on that hub, after its adj. correctly a new axle gasket is all you need to put it back together

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    magoo68, gunner76 and brian991219 Thank this.
  9. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    baha nailed it, if the wheel bearing is worn or was not tightened properly it will have too much run out (play). This can only be accurately checked with a gauge.

gunner76 Thanks this.
  10. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I would have probably rotated my drives a few months ago, or as soon as I saw the pattern showing up. Barring that, you could always see if flipping it on the same rim makes any difference. Usually by the time the pattern is that pronounced its time to replace it, but I always try to get every last mile out of my drives before I replace them.

gunner76 Thanks this.
  11. gunner76

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    I noticed that I have a couple more tires starting to wear funny on the edges. The inside tire on the front axle on the same side as the tire in the picture is starting to cup on the inside edge and the tire paired up with the one in the picture is wearing a little funny on the outside edge.

I wonder if lack of maintenance is partially to cause. I'll admit I'm really lax about checking air pressure and when I do it I've found from time to time that I have some tires that are 5-10lbs low. I need to get in the habit of checking them more often. I'm also usually loaded heavy and do a lot of turning and driving on less than stellar roads and yards if that makes a difference.

This is my third set of BS 726ELs between two different trucks and every set has wore funny like these. The old trucker that had been helping me out when I started said that's just how that tire wears and he quit using them so I never really checked into it any further. I don't think he knew everything I thought he knew.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.