WOW!

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Longarm, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    My kid lives in Baker. He Bellyaches about the weather all winter.:confused:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I can't stop laughing! You made my day driver. Too funny!

4. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    They said wow last year too.

5. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    same picture from a couple of years ago.

6. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    It's like that movie Twelve Monkeys, he almost had it, but now it just resets at that point.
    [​IMG]
    Wait, isn't that John Cougar? Hmm, where are we going with this, oh yeah, an American Fool...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Reason for edit: Wow!
  7. kwog

kwog Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Stupid driving is LIKELY the cause...but sometimes merely driving can be enough. You can be fine at 55mph and then a quarter mile later hit conditions that would leave you fishtailing at 20mph. So do we bring it down to a steady 15 mph anytime it's below freezing, or get off the road altogether ? I don't know any other way to absolutely guarantee safety in winter driving.

8. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Come live in Alaska, you can have all the practice you need for six months of the year.

9. kwog

kwog Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2015
    We talkin bout practice ? LoL....no thanks.....I get enough in Virginia on I 81. Top 3 wealthiest state in the union but too cheap to salt the roads.

Criminey Jade Thanks this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    In order to initiate a fishtail (or jackknife) you need to be applying too much power to the drives. I keep constantly alert for patches of ice when the ambient temperature gauge drops below 36°F and stay at or below 50% boost (about 1/2 available horsepower) at all times whenever ice COULD be an issue. Doesn't matter if I'm currently on bone dry pavement now, I stay below 50% boost because rounding a curve I might get into ice or there can be ice I don't see.

If you are giving it more throttle than that, even if you are steady on the throttle, your tires can break loose if you hit ice.

An analogy would be if you are running full speed in leather soled street shoes, and continue running across an ice rink. If you continue to run trying to push off hard with each stride you'll be "spinning your wheels" and get out of balance and likely fall (fishtail). However, if you adjust your style of running to not push off so hard with each stride (ease off the throttle) you can "coast" across the ice easily and in balance.

Everything should be nice and easy if ice COULD be a factor. That's why I made the statement that ice itself isn't the cause of accidents, it's bad driving that causes accidents in icy conditions.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.