XM vs Sirius vs SiriusXM... WTH???

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by MidWest_MacDaddy, Oct 9, 2015.

1. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Been listening to SXM quite a bit over the last couple weeks in my trainers truck and thinking I would like to get a subscription too.

I know some radios come with it built in and others don't but can still be connected via AUX and a stand alone receiver (which I think I might prefer as I could then take it from Truck to Car to Home as needed) so I would like the bigger screen of a stand alone, been hard to see what station is selected on the actual radio, but not fond of more wires in the cab than needed.

Been looking online and I am more confused now than before... I understand that Sirius and XM merged a few years ago but seems they still provide programming and equipment and billing based on which service you get... Not sure if the programming is different on both platforms or not and the website isn't much help.

I found the PERFECT setup that I would LOVE to get... It's an antennae and receiver combo in a little white box... Takes the SXM signal from there via Bluetooth to an iPhone/iPad and let's you control it from your iOS device... Then it sends a second Bluetooth signal to you Bluetooth enabled Radio and you listen to it over the radio speakers... (Will be using iPad for mapping and other OTR info so it will be mounted very close and will replace a GPS unit or hang over the QualComm)

BUT, that little package is designed for Airplane Pilots (weather, etc) and cost $699... Needless to say, although it's the perfect setup for me in my Apple oriented cab, it's a no go at $700... LOL

I also noticed a combination option that will pick up BOTH Sirius and XM signals (to what advantage I don't know unless there is a difference in package) but they want some $299 for that equipment and the month fees grow to $20/mo.

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Stay Safe,
    MD

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I think some radios can "listen" to only XM or only Sirius satellites. Maybe some newer can listen to either, depending on the activation signal sent to it. You can get the NFL package on a Sirius package/radio as per the contact with the NFL
    This better explains it
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/satellite-radio-comp.htm

4. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    If you get a sxm radio you can get every channel out there, from tiddlywinks to hockey, nfl, NBA ,golf, all the baseball, all the nascar, all the college stuff, all the music, all the fruitcake channels, etc. Costs more for the radio AND the service. Otherwise you will be limited to one or the other

5. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    DO. NOT. BUY. THE. ONYX. PLUS.

truckon, HorseShoe and Bumper Thank this.
  6. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Its all one service. I have a 5 year old XM radio that hooks up fine and it has use of all channels offerd by them.

image.jpeg

7. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    The old one holds up fine. The new one im told the power connector is total crap.

8. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    It's not the power connector. It's the antenna, no matter if it's on the side or the back, it's junk. I have to keep messing with it to make it stay connected. This is after the complete and utter failure that I spent over $300 on, the Lynx. Once Howard's contract is up, I will no longer have SiriusXM anymore. Ever again.

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  9. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Never had a issue with mine, it just sits there and works, moved more trucks then I can count but been where it sits for the last 2 years.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I had a Sirius Stratus 7 in one truck and the built in XM in another. Both got exactly the same channels. When I first bought them Sirius and XM were seperate but they have since combined together. Even the channel numbers match now. Premium subscription package gets you Howard Stern and that's about it.

11. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    really the only thing that Sirius (service) has over XM is Sirius has more channel to use for sports..... Sirius has home AND away channels for all games XM doesn't.... that's about it...

as for what you need really stay simple.... you can get the radio for $40 and up... add $20 for a good antenna and that's all you need...
    even the $40 radio's have FM out to you truck radio so no blue tooth is needed (does your truck radio even have blue tooth) your truck also doesn't need aux it will pick up the FM signal from your XM radio just fine... heck if your parked next to me and you tune to the right station you can hear my XM in your truck....

my 11 year old XM roady still works just fine and gets all the XM channels.... 2 wires, 1 for the antenna and one for the power... doesn't matter what radio you get it will require the 2 wires

if you want to take the same XM radio out of the truck and use it in the house or your car you will need a home KIT for your house (ac power and antenna) and a car KIT (dc power and antenna) for your car then when home just pull the radio out of the car kit you have in the truck and plug it into the home or other car... I use my roady in the big truck and my pu and we have a 5 year old vudoivox that is used in her suv the house

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.