Your first blow out reaction?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by S M D, Oct 13, 2015.

1. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I can't be the only one with a situation that scared me and a story to tell.

What was your first blow out and how did you react to it being a new driver?

My first blow out happen on i25 north right before the scale before Johnstown co, about 6 years ago
    It was about 2am I was flying down i25 at 75mph I heard a Big Bang and scraping slapping flopping Sparks and all I dang near pooped my self. I was scared to pull over to be honest. So I did. Jumped out walked towards the back of my tractor and i saw (pic below) the fairing hangin my first thought was being a noob. OMFG! I split the truck in half how does that happen?. I calmed down and saw the recap was missing on the inner wheel. Then all of my lights came on in my head and common sense settled in. I tied the fairing up and I took a chance and ran the scale until I got to johnsons Corner and called road service(luckily they had a tire guy at enheiser Busch and he was there shortly and replaced my tire withn 45 minutes I was on my way to Denver

This is the picture. And a great memory to keep around.

[​IMG]

Anybody else?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    can't remember the first one, as back in the day, wooden wagon wheels, didn't make much noise.

but as time went on, and we got rubber inflatable tires, long after the solid rubber, that is, still cannot remember the first blow out..

i have had trailer tires blow, but couldn't hear it. it was when i had a drive tire blow, then the sound scared the crap outta me.

one time, a left front outer drive blew, and destroyed my battery box. (day cab)

i think the most fun i had that day however, was i was on Rte 301 in MD, and a SUV was riding along side my drives. some gal, must have thought doing so was a good idea.

then the tire blew, shrapnel from the tire, and i suppose the flying battery box, and she sped past me like her pants were on fire.

i can only hope, she learned her lesson, to NEVER ride along side of a truck ever again.

SISYPHUS Thanks this.
  4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    had a few over the years

1 steer, 1 drive, about 8 trailer.... (company trailers with cheap tires)
    only 1 that ever did any REAL damage was a drive (stupid single) catwalk, splash guard, lower 1/4 fairing and dented the fuel tank on a volvo

5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    My reaction was,

I need to start wearing brown pants everyday...............:D

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I was pissed. I checked the tire pressure beforehand and it wasn't hot outside. #$%& waste of time.

7. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    A steer tire blow out is the one I worry about. Not so much a drive or trailer.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  8. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    My first was in the inner lane on dead mans curve on 90E heading out of Cleveland Ohio. It was a slow turn ...maybe 30MPH...and it didn't freak me out at all...just pulled over and called the boss man. I have heard horror stories though!

Mine was the curb side steer tire....

9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    had a tire blow on a truck that was passing me one day. trailer tire let loose right outside my drivers door. talk about loud! THAT WOKE ME UP!

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Same here. I haven't had the pleasure of that one yet.

If there were ever a reason why a car should NOT hang out next to a truck on the highway, THAT would be it.

rachi Thanks this.
  11. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I blew the drivers side steer axle air bag on my Volvo. And that was crazy. My truck shot to one side. I hope to never experience a steer blowout especially at 70mph+

rachi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.