YRC Driver School Questions?

Discussion in 'YRC' started by Sean_Memphis, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Sean_Memphis

Sean_Memphis Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    I see you can now apply for YRC's CDL School. Can anyone tell me about the training? Company culture? Pay, benefits, etc? Thanks!!

SHOJim Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr.V

Mr.V Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2010
    HATBORO,PA
    I don't know anything about the CDL School to obtain your CDL through YRC but I do know if you work as a casual on the dock for awhile and prove yourself (and already have a CDL-A with no experience) they will but you through a program to get on as a driver ( Road or Peddle).

Njhandofdoom and Sean_Memphis Thank this.
  4. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, they have a CDL School in Chicago.

5. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    I just finished with their school. I passed my driving test today. Before you start the school you need to get your cdl class a permit. Proof of getting your hazmat finger printing complete and your DOT medical card. All on your dime. You will need to get your doubles/ triples endorsement, tanker, and hazmat endorsements before school ends which is 4 weeks, M-F 7-3:30. They do not pay you during school and you sign a one year contract with them. If you quit within that time frame you owe them 4 grand. ( after being officially hired)

Once you pass the school and get into orientation it's 17.89 an hour and .47 per mile. 100% paid benefits( medical, dental, vision) for you and your spouse and kids. You always will get paid either by the mile or hourly for breakdowns, drop and hook, traffic delays, waiting for your load etc... The pay is 85% of scale and you will have to join the teamsters union.

The trainers were awesome! They teach you all the stuff you need to know and all the tricks for backing. Very patient and cool dudes. Small class sizes, mine had 8 guys. They teach you in a day cab with a pup trailer.

I hope this gives you some info. They started their own school because most of there drivers are between 50-80 years old. Seems like a great start to truck driving.

crazeydude and Sean_Memphis Thank this.
  6. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    Digman943, Do you live in the Chicago Area?

7. crazeydude

crazeydude Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Sounds great and all but, The equipment is sub-par, hours are weak, and the company just don't care above you or your future! I'm working at 116 in Deer park, NY and am ready to jump ship! No money, no pension! Been here a year, trucks are ready for the junk-yard!

Sean_Memphis Thanks this.
  8. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    Here in Memphis, I only see new(er) YRC Trucks on the road. What does it take to get hours where you are? What is top scale? No pension?

Waggledaddy Thanks this.
  9. Digman943

Mar 17, 2016
    Yes.

10. Digman943

Mar 17, 2016
    I spoke with a couple guys from past classes and they are making money on the team runs. They told us teams for the first 6 months to a year until we can hold a bid. No one with high seniority wants team runs so there's plenty of work for new guys in Chicago.

11. crazeydude

crazeydude Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry it took so long to answer, By no pension I mean it's just about bankrupt! Don't plan it to retire from YRC with! My truck was put out of service last week! The frame rotted through! Never wash the #### units! Top pay? What's that? I'm making a whooping $17.93 hr. A whole year later! I won't be here come the end of the month! No incentive, poor old equipment, weak pay, little OT. Yeah I'm done stick a fork in me!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.