Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Road Train Member IROCUBabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Trucker?
    2 Years
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,562
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked: 1,018 Times

    HR Block/Tax People Worth It?

    Wondering if I need to hire someone, cause for the first time ever I owe the gov. I owe quite a bit more then I was figuring... but I dont want to pay 300 dollars to HR Block so they can tell me I owe still.

    Any information on previous experience with tax persons let me know how it works, do I do some monthly fee or something?


  2. #2
    Road Train Member bigjoel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Trucker?
    EX-10 Years
    Posts
    1,176
    Thanks
    513
    Thanked: 1,041 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by IROCUBabe View Post
    Wondering if I need to hire someone, cause for the first time ever I owe the gov. I owe quite a bit more then I was figuring... but I dont want to pay 300 dollars to HR Block so they can tell me I owe still.

    Any information on previous experience with tax persons let me know how it works, do I do some monthly fee or something?
    There are several good online tax programs that walk you through it.

    I use TaxAct myself (the free version). TurboTax is another one. It does all the math for you. It asks you the questions and you answer them. It is even easy to itemize.

    Try them, why pay someone else to do something you can do yourself?

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to bigjoel For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Road Train Member rich_t's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    United States
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    1,418
    Thanks
    11,868
    Thanked: 10,521 Times
    I have been using Turbo Tax for years. My tax returns aren't overly complicated to begin with though.

    If I owned a business or had a lot of various real estate investments etc. I'd probably use a CPA.

  5. #4
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Trucker?
    7 Years
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,088
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked: 334 Times
    i have used turbo tax as well, very easy to manuver thru.

  6. #5
    Independent Owner/Operator Hanadarko's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    2,951
    Thanks
    1,439
    Thanked: 872 Times
    I used TurboTax for Business...i think I paid $75 for the software.
    Worked very well and was really easy.
    Yea, why pay someone for something you can do yourself?

    ...just don't forget ALL of the deductions your legally entitled to out there!

  7. #6
    Heavy Load Member Rockin&Rollin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Trucker?
    WannaBe
    Posts
    721
    Thanks
    3,539
    Thanked: 5,399 Times
    If you do a simple return forget H&R Block (who basically hires anybody that can run a software program that is similar to TurboTax) and do it yourself with TurboTax.

    Ask around and find a good local CPA. They get paid to know all of the tricks general software programs donít always include (like getting away with claiming multi-year depreciation etc). My accountant is former IRS and itís eye-popping what those in-the-know can do for a few hundred dollars.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockin&Rollin For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Cantankerous Crusty
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Trucker?
    37 Years
    Posts
    3,890
    Thanks
    2,160
    Thanked: 5,538 Times
    As stated earlier--there are quite a few online programs that will work--as for HR Block etc--I feel these are mostly "generic servicers" So IMHO if you ARE going to pay someone--you will be $$$$$ ahead to find an accountant/tax preparer with specialized knowledge in the trucking industry--trucking like any business has expenses/deductions unique to this industry--and there are many people(financial)that specialized in this industry--Since I hae to assume(I know bad word)that you are a driver--you are in a position to take deductions that are unique to this industry--and someone with a great deal of experience--would be your best bet--if you choose to "pay" a professional preparer. Good luck~!
    Just my $.02

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to 'olhand For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Medium Load Member
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Location
    fair lawn nj
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    626
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked: 209 Times
    We use a CPA because I can't figure out my own since I got into the stock market.He only charges $150 ,a small one man office,w/ secretary, works out of his house,.Whenever we need advise during the year,he's always got time to see us no charge,maybe we just got lucky and found the right one;he's worth his weight in gold.I would never go to H&R Block,tried them once, way over priced.

  12. #9
    Independent Owner/Operator Hanadarko's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    2,951
    Thanks
    1,439
    Thanked: 872 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by whosedog View Post
    We use a CPA because I can't figure out my own since I got into the stock market.He only charges $150 ,a small one man office,w/ secretary, works out of his house,.Whenever we need advise during the year,he's always got time to see us no charge,maybe we just got lucky and found the right one;he's worth his weight in gold.I would never go to H&R Block,tried them once, way over priced.
    Agreed. If I owned or dealt with Stocks or trades and stuff I would likely consult a professional....

    For basic income and expenses I feel the software I use does a fine job...

  13. #10
    "Old Fart" Big Don's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Trucker?
    EX-11 Years
    Posts
    12,006
    Thanks
    17,471
    Thanked: 19,787 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin&Rollin View Post
    If you do a simple return forget H&R Block (who basically hires anybody that can run a software program that is similar to TurboTax) and do it yourself with TurboTax.

    Ask around and find a good local CPA. They get paid to know all of the tricks general software programs donít always include (like getting away with claiming multi-year depreciation etc). My accountant is former IRS and itís eye-popping what those in-the-know can do for a few hundred dollars.
    WHAT THIS POSTER SAID! If you need help with your return, go to someone who really KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Not some outfit that hires "temps" to work during "the season." And there are several companies like this, not just H&R. I wouldn't go to ANY of them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •