Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    "Log it Legal" LogsRus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Trucker?
    Trucking Industry
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,590
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked: 329 Times

    Re: The 11 & 14 Hour Rule explanation

    Quote Originally Posted by the-waco-kid View Post
    The 2 hour adverse condition exception and the 16 hour rule are two different things.
    Yes you are right! I got it but yeah some may not have read it close enough It's Saturday and if you are home have a drink on me!


  2. #12
    Trucker Forum STAFF Brickman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Location
    WY
    Trucker?
    EX-7 Years
    Age
    40
    Posts
    12,912
    Thanks
    10,084
    Thanked: 12,151 Times

    Re: The 11 & 14 Hour Rule explanation

    In regards to the 2 hr weather/accident/traffic extension.


    I have never used it, and have been caught in some horrible weather crossing WY and a few other states. Usually the weather gets bad over a period of time, an hour or more, there by allowing time to get off the road. But then I'm not one to run as long as the road is open. There does come a time when I'll hang it up even if the road is still open. I can see getting stuck in bad traffic but weather is an excuse from my experience.

  3. #13
    "Log it Legal" LogsRus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Trucker?
    Trucking Industry
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,590
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked: 329 Times

    Re: The 11 & 14 Hour Rule explanation

    Quote Originally Posted by Brickman View Post
    In regards to the 2 hr weather/accident/traffic extension.


    I have never used it, and have been caught in some horrible weather crossing WY and a few other states. Usually the weather gets bad over a period of time, an hour or more, there by allowing time to get off the road. But then I'm not one to run as long as the road is open. There does come a time when I'll hang it up even if the road is still open. I can see getting stuck in bad traffic but weather is an excuse from my experience.
    Yeah that is kind of what I feel, but I let the drivers use it every now and then, Darn them if they get into trouble with it! The thing is if they don't get busted on the road with the exscuse and DOT comes into the office and their logs are perfect except a few exscuses, more than likely they won't say anything about it! But CAUTION: If you use the exscuse and you are busted by DOT/Officer or you are in an accident; OUCH! You will wish you did not lie/CRAYON w/e YOU WANT TO CALL IT! (hey how did the new smiley come about, gosh everyone will hate me with the smileys)

    HAVE A GREAT NIGHT & PLEASE RUN LEGAL, YOU MAKE THE LIFE MUCH EASIER ON YOU AND ME IF YOU DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH WAIT YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT MY LIFE BEING EASIER DO YOU Cool I like that one! lmao

  4. #14
    Trucker Forum STAFF MACK E-6's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Trucker?
    13 Years
    Age
    39
    Posts
    6,557
    Thanks
    4,075
    Thanked: 4,914 Times

    Re: The 11 & 14 Hour Rule explanation

    Quote Originally Posted by LogsRus View Post
    Yes you are right! I got it but yeah some may not have read it close enough It's Saturday and if you are home have a drink on me!
    Oh, yes, he's right. I misunderstood Turbo.

  5. #15
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Palestine, In.
    Trucker?
    7 Years
    Age
    57
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    180
    Thanked: 119 Times

    14 hour rule

    Hi, I know this is an old thread, I found it while looking to see if my question has already been aired. If it has, I haven't found it.
    My question is this, is it in any way permitted to go past the 14 hour rule, while NOT violating the 11 hour rule, to drive until you find a safe place to park due to unforseen delays at a shipper?
    I for one do not consider on ramps or unimproved roadside pulloffs as safe places to take a ten hour break.
    I ask because I had to drive an hour past my 14 the other day to find a place to park for the night due to having to wait an hour and three quarters for the shipping clerk to have her lunch break before handing over my BOL's.
    I've only been driving for a month and a half and this is the first time I've run into this situation.
    DannyB

  6. #16
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    18,847
    Thanks
    2,997
    Thanked: 8,768 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Hi, I know this is an old thread, I found it while looking to see if my question has already been aired. If it has, I haven't found it.
    My question is this, is it in any way permitted to go past the 14 hour rule, while NOT violating the 11 hour rule, to drive until you find a safe place to park due to unforseen delays at a shipper?
    I for one do not consider on ramps or unimproved roadside pulloffs as safe places to take a ten hour break.
    I ask because I had to drive an hour past my 14 the other day to find a place to park for the night due to having to wait an hour and three quarters for the shipping clerk to have her lunch break before handing over my BOL's.
    I've only been driving for a month and a half and this is the first time I've run into this situation.
    DannyB
    In simple language, NO. A friend of mine was written up for violating the 14 hour rule, by only 10 minutes trying to find a place to park.

  7. #17
    "Log it Legal" LogsRus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Trucker?
    Trucking Industry
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,590
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked: 329 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadmedic View Post
    In simple language, NO. A friend of mine was written up for violating the 14 hour rule, by only 10 minutes trying to find a place to park.
    I will confirm! NO NO NO NO ! DOT says you need to find a place to park before your 11 or 14 hour is up. There is no exception to the 11,14 or 70 hour rule that allows you to find a safe place to park. Drivers would use that exscuse all the time and not really be true is my guess why they don't let you use it.

  8. #18
    Road Train Member Lurchgs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,122
    Thanks
    298
    Thanked: 326 Times
    my chime in:

    If you go past your 70 or 14 hours - it doesn't matter a whit how many you have left on your 11. Truck stays where it is - or you drive illegally

  9. #19
    Medium Load Member
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Trucker?
    6 Years
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked: 81 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by LogsRus View Post
    I will confirm! NO NO NO NO ! DOT says you need to find a place to park before your 11 or 14 hour is up. There is no exception to the 11,14 or 70 hour rule that allows you to find a safe place to park. Drivers would use that exscuse all the time and not really be true is my guess why they don't let you use it.
    What to do if you arrive at shipper 1pm, don't get loaded until 5pm, 14 ends at 5pm, and there's no available parking at shipper or on road next to shipper? I know this is theoretical but what if? I know that what I'll end up doing is driving to the nearest safe and legal which is what the experienced truck drivers have told me they do. Are they wrong? What's the alternative because right now I don't see one.

  10. #20
    Road Train Member MGASSEL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Co
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,301
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked: 190 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiego View Post
    What to do if you arrive at shipper 1pm, don't get loaded until 5pm, 14 ends at 5pm, and there's no available parking at shipper or on road next to shipper? I know this is theoretical but what if? I know that what I'll end up doing is driving to the nearest safe and legal which is what the experienced truck drivers have told me they do. Are they wrong? What's the alternative because right now I don't see one.
    I think as long as you do not make it a habit you should be fine.
    However I would reccomend not driving too far that way you will not have to log it.

    I always scouted for parking on the way to the shipper or reciver that way I had a place to park if they ran my 14 hour clock out.

    I use to also go straight to the sleeper after I checked in with them when I was getting loaded or unloaded.

    That way I could catch a few winks and alot of the time I was able to get 2-3 hours of sleep.
    Of course it did not stop or extend my 14 hour clock but atleast I was refreshed and could drive to my safe spot without being tired.

    One thing that I do all of the time is once I get to the shipper or reciver I would send in the macro for that then log the 15 min that I would say it takes to check in and get assigned a door hopefully.

    If I had to wait for a door assigment I would go from on duty not driving to the sleeper and I would check in about once per hour but when getting out of your truck make sure you do not have cops watching you or you can have trouble for falsifying logs.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to MGASSEL For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •