Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Bobtail Member Doc2323's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times

    Swift's AZ Driving Academy

    Does anyone have recent experience with Swift's Phoenix school?


  2. #2
    Light Load Member AZHammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2011
    Location
    Phx, AZ
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked: 32 Times
    Not as of yet, as I start my schooling this Monday (16th). Ive gone thru the pre hire physical (cough cough), online study course, and went down and took my cdl permit test..
    Prior to them even thinking about getting you into school, they set you up with a login to their cdl practice test/videos. My recruiter told me it takes 8hrs tops to go thru it all and take the tests, pfft... took me 3 days.. I would highly reccomend going to the local mvd and getting the cdl test manual and read the hell out of it, cause if you dont pass and get your permit, they wont talk to ya till ya do.

    I got a phone call from another person in their academy yesterday telling me what to bring, and stating it was ok to wear shorts on the range. She was very nice but kept pushing the majority of my question off till Monday and advised me to ask the instructor.

    Pre hire DOT exam was $40
    CDL Permit exam was $25 + $7 (motorcycle endorsement) which Im going to ask about when I go back there. Not sure why the cdl mvd charged me the extra $7 when I already have had this on my license for years, strange...?

    Speaking of motorcycles, think ill head up north to prescott/sedona for the day and cool off before hitting the school hard core these next few weeks, not to mention being with the trainer for 240hrs.. Man my bikes going to miss me in the coming months. Never thought Id have to winterize the bike here in AZ durring the summer..

    If you decide to head up to Phx and do your schooling look me up..!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to AZHammer For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Heavy Load Member plentygood's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    965
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked: 587 Times
    Most of what I have read about Swift's schools is that they are pretty well run.
    Last edited by plentygood; 05.14.2011 at 02.24 PM. Reason:: "bad engrish"

  5. #4
    AZS
    AZS is offline
    Honk if anything falls off
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PHX, AZ
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,878
    Thanks
    1,033
    Thanked: 1,266 Times
    I did it 8 months ago, loved every minute. Instructors are good, Howard probably the coolest one.

  6. #5
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Mo
    Trucker?
    No
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    how long is the contract with swift. 1 or 2 years?

  7. #6
    Light Load Member AZHammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2011
    Location
    Phx, AZ
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked: 32 Times
    there is no contract. you can leave at any time you want..

    Break down:

    loan amount : $3900
    terms : 13 months # $300
    loan payment : $300 # $75 weekly for 13 months
    tuition reimbursement : $150 # 37.50 weekly for 26 months

    Phx school is pretty cool so far, everyone is real nice and I have no complants.

    If you think thats crazy, head on up to CR England and wait till you get pressured into a lease paying $1200+ a week for a truck not to mention the school..
    Other schools here in Phx will take your money, get ya a cdl, but no job guarantee....etc..

  8. #7
    Light Load Member Truckersmooth's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Age
    31
    Posts
    103
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked: 22 Times
    so I'm a bit confused.. I plan on going to the phoenix school probably in February. I'm from Colorado. Do I have to get my physical/med card here before school? Also I think you covered that you have to get your CDL permit by taking the written test before school as well? Seems almost meaning less to even go to the academy.. Why would they have to do another physical if you already got one before you left for school?

  9. #8
    Heavy Load Member SteveH85396's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Waddell, AZ
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Age
    57
    Posts
    966
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked: 339 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckersmooth View Post
    so I'm a bit confused.. I plan on going to the phoenix school probably in February. I'm from Colorado. Do I have to get my physical/med card here before school? Also I think you covered that you have to get your CDL permit by taking the written test before school as well? Seems almost meaning less to even go to the academy.. Why would they have to do another physical if you already got one before you left for school?
    I recently granduated from The Swift Academy in Phoenix. Since I'm an AZ resident (and live 20 miles from the Swift Phoenix terminal) I took my physical @ The Phoenix terminal.

    Since the school is in AZ it's mandatory that you have an AZ class A CDL permit. If you're attending from out of state I strongly suggest you study your ### off ahead of time. Of the 11 that Swift took to the AZ MVD on Monday only 3 passed the tests on their 1st try. Of the 8 that retested only 4 passed on their 2nd attempt. AZ allows 3 attempt (on the written tests) but Swift will only take you down for 2 attempts. One of the 4 who flunked twice passed on his third attempt and was recycled into the class behind mine.

    The Phoenix academy is 18 days/10 hours a day with only 1 day off! The school is VERY fast passed! Definitely SINK OR SWIM!

    Feburary is the perfect time of year to attend the school in Phoenix.

  10. #9
    Light Load Member TruckermanD's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Trucker?
    WannaBe
    Age
    25
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked: 34 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH85396 View Post
    I recently granduated from The Swift Academy in Phoenix. Since I'm an AZ resident (and live 20 miles from the Swift Phoenix terminal) I took my physical @ The Phoenix terminal.

    Since the school is in AZ it's mandatory that you have an AZ class A CDL permit. If you're attending from out of state I strongly suggest you study your ### off ahead of time. Of the 11 that Swift took to the AZ MVD on Monday only 3 passed the tests on their 1st try. Of the 8 that retested only 4 passed on their 2nd attempt. AZ allows 3 attempt (on the written tests) but Swift will only take you down for 2 attempts. One of the 4 who flunked twice passed on his third attempt and was recycled into the class behind mine.

    The Phoenix academy is 18 days/10 hours a day with only 1 day off! The school is VERY fast passed! Definitely SINK OR SWIM!

    Feburary is the perfect time of year to attend the school in Phoenix.
    I just Moved to Mesa and I'm In between Swift and Central. I've actually been studying for my cdl's for years. No being cocky but I think when I read up on it ill pass the test. My question to you is how have your experience been with them so far? Im from the east coast and kinda wanna get there a little often.

  11. #10
    Heavy Load Member SteveH85396's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Waddell, AZ
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Age
    57
    Posts
    966
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked: 339 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckermanD View Post
    I just Moved to Mesa and I'm In between Swift and Central. I've actually been studying for my cdl's for years. No being cocky but I think when I read up on it ill pass the test. My question to you is how have your experience been with them so far? Im from the east coast and kinda wanna get there a little often.
    I had a gap between when I first spoke with Swift and when I actually attended the academy. Once I made up my mind to go I re-took all of the "tests" on the Swift online learning center PLUS found some CDL practice exams from another carrier online when I took as well. Even though I had all the online tests/exams wired I nearly flunked (got 84%) the AZ combination test due to poor wording on part of the test and the fact I'm prone to falling for poorly worded questions (got 100% on the other exams). I heard the same complaints (about the AZ CDL test) from ALL of the out of state students I attended the academy with.

    As for working for Swift and getting to the east coast.....NO PROBLEM!

    I graduated the Swift academy on Aug 12th, attended orientation Aug 22-24, then took a 2-day flatbed tiedown class Aug 25-26th. I'm currently waiting for a non-smoking flatbed mentor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread