Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Bobtail Member chrisbecker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Faribault,MN
    Trucker?
    6 Years
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked: 3 Times

    volvo low voltage alarm

    Does anybody know if the low voltage alarm can be adjusted? I own a 2010 730 that I bought new and this thing has been a pain since day one. when i shut the truck off the batteries are at 12.6v and when it hits 12.4v it alarms out and shuts off most electrical items. What Im figuring out is that its not that the batteries are getting drained its more of an issue of things turning on and off and causing the initial power draw dropping the voltage too low. My dealer tells me that Volvo wont let them change it. I honestly dont care what Volvo wants I own the truck and I want it changed but dont have the tools or knowledge to do it.


  2. #2
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Trucker?
    5 Years
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked: 116 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbecker View Post
    Does anybody know if the low voltage alarm can be adjusted? I own a 2010 730 that I bought new and this thing has been a pain since day one. when i shut the truck off the batteries are at 12.6v and when it hits 12.4v it alarms out and shuts off most electrical items. What Im figuring out is that its not that the batteries are getting drained its more of an issue of things turning on and off and causing the initial power draw dropping the voltage too low. My dealer tells me that Volvo wont let them change it. I honestly dont care what Volvo wants I own the truck and I want it changed but dont have the tools or knowledge to do it.

    Can't comment on lower the Voltage alarm but 12,6v when just shut down is not healthy. Should be close to 14v, maybe one cell on the batteries are dead.

  3. #3
    Medium Load Member
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Trucker?
    14 Years
    Posts
    349
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked: 135 Times
    Agree with Icee!! Something isn't right with your charging system. I have the same setup in mine and also had the same problem. 1 bad battery will cause the whole 4 battery chain to sound the alarm. I had to replace all 4 Volvo batteries, then replaced 4 batteries from Petro because they were not tight enough in the holder so they were bouncing around. IMO, if you bypass that alarm you might not be able to start it later. I went threw the whole system and cleaned and protected every connection with stuff from NAPA & installed NAPA batteries, it worked like a charm.

  4. #4
    Medium Load Member
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Trucker?
    14 Years
    Posts
    349
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked: 135 Times
    BTW, are you getting any fault codes under vehicle ECU? If you get a data link error I would go threw the whole system, clean & protect. I also ran a separate copper ground wire. I noticed when I plugged in, I would have this problem the next trip, I think the Inverter/charger cooked 1 of my batteries. Since running the separate ground and doing the NAPA stuff, I haven't had the problem.

  5. #5
    Bobtail Member chrisbecker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Faribault,MN
    Trucker?
    6 Years
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked: 3 Times
    I have 4 950 CCA Napa batteries that I put in new 6 months ago. I called napa today and they told me that just after shutting the truck off they should be at 12.565v mine are at 12.6. I have dealt with bad batteries before and corrosion issues so I scrubbed all connections, bolted everything tight and sprayed napa terminal coating all over every exposed surface...... I have no fault codes no errors.......

  6. #6
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gardners,PA
    Trucker?
    35 Years
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,125
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked: 2,349 Times
    The low voltage senses not only battery level but the drain/rate on them. What all are you running with the key off? Reducing what is on, espcially in the interior lighting will keep the alarm off.

  7. #7
    Bobtail Member chrisbecker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Faribault,MN
    Trucker?
    6 Years
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked: 3 Times
    If I turn everthing off and just run the webasto that will last about 6-8 hours. Running the fridge and main interior light maybe an hour. But what confuses me is when I go home and leave the fridge running for the weekend it will only drain the batteries from 12.6 to 12.5. The batteries are strong but the system is just set too sensitive.

  8. #8
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Location
    aircap, Ks.
    Trucker?
    WannaBe
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,540
    Thanks
    706
    Thanked: 2,529 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Icee View Post
    Can't comment on lower the Voltage alarm but 12,6v when just shut down is not healthy. Should be close to 14v, maybe one cell on the batteries are dead.

    Ummmm no, thats not true. 12.6 is totally normal when the engine is off.

    When the engine is running and the alternator is charging voltage should be near or at 14volt.

  9. #9
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Trucker?
    5 Years
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked: 116 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
    Ummmm no, thats not true. 12.6 is totally normal when the engine is off.

    When the engine is running and the alternator is charging voltage should be near or at 14volt.
    Take a volt meter, chose a car, truck what ever you want. I can ensure you it will show a good bit over 13v.

    It's 24v system here but when just shut down it will show 28v, after 8h with webasto + fridge will be down to 25-26 if the batteries are healthy...


    12,6 is to low, measure every battery individual to see witch seems to be bad. Even a brand new one can have a dead cell.

  10. #10
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gardners,PA
    Trucker?
    35 Years
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,125
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked: 2,349 Times
    I think I'll join the bad battery bandwagon, when you 1st shut the truck off, you ought to have voltage over 13.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •