Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 65
  1. #11
    Road Train Member Pablo-UA's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lugansk, UA
    Trucker?
    Trucking Industry
    Posts
    6,489
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked: 1,142 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie1 View Post
    I guess I am wondering how using more DEF would be a downside compared to EGR dumping engine feces back into the cylinders, along with that many more sensors and parts that fail. I would be willing to take the increased DEF solution if I had to have the emissions junk. It would indeed be nice if we had the option. Being able to modify and tune the engine for maximum performance and fuel mileage would more than offset any additional DEF cost.
    Really if engine was designed as SCR engine it is more fuel efficient, about 8% MPG gain, becouse designers do not think about NOx emissions, they concider SCR will kill all NOx. But.... a half of DEF engines are really converted to DEF, like ALL Mercedes PLD engines converted from E3 to E5 for example.



    But Scania 12L E5, Mercedes/Detroit 13/15/16, Volvo D13, DAF/Paccar MX are the real DEF engines. They really save fuel, old engines equiped with DEF usually not

  2. #12
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Zagreb,Croatia,Europe
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    2,046
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked: 359 Times
    worst possible case with scr engines and adblue consumption is man you can be happy to have maxxforce egr engines also lot of parts make trouble

    as for egr engines for now only scania manage to make engine with egr with same power and efficiency as scr

    so since scr is much simplier i dont know why did you first get egr

  3. #13
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    12,587
    Thanks
    24,505
    Thanked: 23,192 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Now Ron, wern't you recently arguing in a thread that all the emission stuff is good, should not be messed with, and serves a great purpose to humanity and the earth?
    I was supporting my choice to upgrade to modern technology because I assured by technicians that the "bugs" were worked out on the '09 engines....


    I also had to upgrade since I am a Cali based Carrier....One who is not a "Designated" Business....

    Add to that....I was running military cross-dock loads that required a CARB compliant rig...

    But just like the TWIC program...Which I also was required to comply with....The whole thing is a joke....


    The ports now allows non-compliant carriers to use proxy carriers to pick up or drop loads....


    So being compliant with CARB....Compliant with the ports...Compliant with Emodal...Compliant with the Federal Government...Was Bull sheyat...And only applies to "Non-designated" carriers such as myself....


    So add all that up with the EGR cooler and VGT problems....I'm not a happy man at the moment....

  4. #14
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    12,587
    Thanks
    24,505
    Thanked: 23,192 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by fireba11 View Post
    While your talking to those know it alls in Washington and Sacramento.....Ask them why they can't just have trucks run on propane and do away with those diesel engine killing emission cleaning junk they run on these newer trucks!
    Propane and LNG can't pass muster running the Rockies....Diesel is far more efficient and yields more hp than the "alternatives"...

  5. #15
    Road Train Member DrtyDiesel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hawthorne, FL
    Trucker?
    2 Years
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,660
    Thanks
    5,943
    Thanked: 1,995 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class Patriot View Post
    Propane and LNG can't pass muster running the Rockies....Diesel is far more efficient and yields more hp than the "alternatives"...
    Definitely, there was a thread about using lng. But lng would yield half the MPG that diesel produces. So it wouldn't be any help. Plus I like the smell of diesel fumes in the morning. So.stying about the aroma of diesel fuel really gets in my blood. I've been a diesel junkie since 2002. I LOVE diesel power

    Ethan

  6. #16
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Trucker?
    8 Years
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked: 29 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class Patriot View Post
    I was supporting my choice to upgrade to modern technology because I assured by technicians that the "bugs" were worked out on the '09 engines....


    I also had to upgrade since I am a Cali based Carrier....One who is not a "Designated" Business....

    Add to that....I was running military cross-dock loads that required a CARB compliant rig...

    But just like the TWIC program...Which I also was required to comply with....The whole thing is a joke....


    The ports now allows non-compliant carriers to use proxy carriers to pick up or drop loads....


    So being compliant with CARB....Compliant with the ports...Compliant with Emodal...Compliant with the Federal Government...Was Bull sheyat...And only applies to "Non-designated" carriers such as myself....


    So add all that up with the EGR cooler and VGT problems....I'm not a happy man at the moment....
    All this is happening to you only because you were and still are clueless about trucks and trucking. There is no place in trucking for clueless people and never really was. Everyone and their brother can have a shot at O/O but if you don't learn the basics about combustion - soon you come back to your favorite mega-fleet and $300 paycheck
    Sorry.

  7. #17
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    12,587
    Thanks
    24,505
    Thanked: 23,192 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by ProduceHauler View Post
    All this is happening to you only because you were and still are clueless about trucks and trucking. There is no place in trucking for clueless people and never really was. Everyone and their brother can have a shot at O/O but if you don't learn the basics about combustion - soon you come back to your favorite mega-fleet and $300 paycheck
    Sorry.
    Excuse me?

    I'm "clueless"?

    I have been an O/O since '04....If I was "clueless"....I would be out of the biz....

    I attended the first CARB workshop back in '05 to discuss the pending regulations for '14....Ironman and Donaldson had reps along with the CARB rep...

    At the time...We could retrofit a DPF onto the engines at the cost of $25K...Which...One could buy an engine with a DPF for less than that at the time...

    In '08 CARB decided that retrofitting an old engine was not compliant so the "solution" was to drop in a new compliant engine....But that is not cost effective.....Dropping an EPA '10 engine into say a pre-EPA emissions rig could cost one up to $70K since the dash electronics and the trannies are not compatible....I know this because I researched this option before buying an '09....

    Btw...How much do you take loads for?...Since you assume I am "Clueless"....I suppose I'll assume you're one of those Bottom-feeders running produce loads like they're supposed to be delivered "yesterday" at less than a buck a mile....

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Working Class Patriot For This Useful Post:


  9. #18
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    12,587
    Thanks
    24,505
    Thanked: 23,192 Times
    And btw....I have never drove for a "Mega Fleet"....I was driving construction rigs long before many members on this board were born.....

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Working Class Patriot For This Useful Post:


  11. #19
    Trucker Forum STAFF
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the road less travelled
    Trucker?
    10 Years
    Posts
    10,158
    Thanks
    11,321
    Thanked: 7,205 Times
    I sure don't know how to answer the OP other than to say, "Ron, looks like you got yourself a lemon."

    I see a bulk company replacing Cat engined Binders with Cascadias, I guess they didn't like ISXs either. I see another bulk company buying 386 and 388 Petes with MXs; they won't run FLs and they won't run ISXs. Those MX's aren't real reliable, either. BTW, you can buy ISX equipped Cascadias now, too, looks like a little cheaper than one with a DD15.

    I see LEOs pulling over trucks doing rolling regens in PA because it looks like the trucks are on fire, doesn't smell like it, though, and it's Petes or KWs sans the stack(s).

    I'm running a 2008 with 500K and I don't want one of these Cascadias they are getting for us now because 'they' are not as reliable as that 2008 with the DPF and no SCR. We don't do Cali, they hire outside carriers for all of those loads because of the trailers.

    I will say another thing for you, Ron, and that is I respect you for trying to make it work, but this also looks like another TWIC thing to me, pay em a little more each time and you didn't need it in the first place. I haven't been to a TWIC port in NJ in 15 months, and I sure don't miss it. Never got the TWIC. There were more non TWIC drivers in Del Monte than there were compliant ones. Cost 15 bucks more for wearing a different vest, supposed to pay for an escort you never saw.

  12. #20
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Trucker?
    8 Years
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked: 29 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class Patriot View Post
    Excuse me?

    I'm "clueless"?

    I have been an O/O since '04....If I was "clueless"....I would be out of the biz....

    I attended the first CARB workshop back in '05 to discuss the pending regulations for '14....Ironman and Donaldson had reps along with the CARB rep...

    At the time...We could retrofit a DPF onto the engines at the cost of $25K...Which...One could buy an engine with a DPF for less than that at the time...

    In '08 CARB decided that retrofitting an old engine was not compliant so the "solution" was to drop in a new compliant engine....But that is not cost effective.....Dropping an EPA '10 engine into say a pre-EPA emissions rig could cost one up to $70K since the dash electronics and the trannies are not compatible....I know this because I researched this option before buying an '09....

    Btw...How much do you take loads for?...Since you assume I am "Clueless"....I suppose I'll assume you're one of those Bottom-feeders running produce loads like they're supposed to be delivered "yesterday" at less than a buck a mile....
    I think I remember you picking endless fights here over how f great new engines and trucks are and how great California air gonna be - some people get what they deserve....

    Don't you worry about my rates - I bring home enough to buy new rig every year paying cash. I just don't have to - my Peterbilt will last another 6 years easily when people like you - clueless "new rig" crowd will never have them even paid for. You will be lucky if you make payments on time, much less deliver loads.

    Also, thanks to people like you and new emission standards crafted for you rates will only go up over time - thank you upfront for that

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to ProduceHauler For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •