Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 74
  1. #1
    Road Train Member Big John's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Trucker?
    22 Years
    Posts
    2,023
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked: 1,401 Times

    New oil and it is black already.

    I have a 2001 ISX and change the oil myself. Last weekend I changed my oil with 20,000 on the old oil. I use Rotella 15w40 and this time I put two gallons of Lucas with it, after draining the old oil and changing the filter and putting in the new I ran it for a minute then checked the oil and it was black like the old oil I just drained. Never seen this before. Anyone know why? I am going to change it at 10,000 this next time and do a sample.


  2. #2
    Light Load Member gunner76's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Location
    IA
    Trucker?
    12 Years
    Posts
    292
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked: 39 Times
    There was probably enough old oil left in the engine to discolor the new.

  3. #3
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Trucker?
    4 Years
    Age
    24
    Posts
    10,373
    Thanks
    5,531
    Thanked: 5,024 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    I have a 2001 ISX and change the oil myself. Last weekend I changed my oil with 20,000 on the old oil. I use Rotella 15w40 and this time I put two gallons of Lucas with it, after draining the old oil and changing the filter and putting in the new I ran it for a minute then checked the oil and it was black like the old oil I just drained. Never seen this before. Anyone know why? I am going to change it at 10,000 this next time and do a sample.

    a 2001 and you've never seen black oil before?

    I've done a few thosand oil changes and the ONLY vehicals that i've ever seen the oil NOT black are ones with less then 25,000 miles on them, almost every other one will have black oil imediatly after changeing it, plus your never going to get all the old oil out




    American Trucker

  4. #4
    Road Train Member Big John's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Trucker?
    22 Years
    Posts
    2,023
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked: 1,401 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    There was probably enough old oil left in the engine to discolor the new.
    That is what I was thinking but thought maybe it might be something else. I have changed the oil in it before and when I pulled the stick out after changing it you could see the new oil but not this time.

  5. #5
    Medium Load Member Gambi80's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fried Chicken Capital of the Midwest
    Trucker?
    12 Years
    Posts
    366
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked: 80 Times
    Where's the guy who suggests adding a gallon of ATF fluid for a half hour before you drop the oil to clean the engine....I'd like to hear that theory again and perhaps try it.

  6. #6
    Road Train Member Big John's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Trucker?
    22 Years
    Posts
    2,023
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked: 1,401 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by American-Trucker View Post
    a 2001 and you've never seen black oil before?

    I've done a few thosand oil changes and the ONLY vehicals that i've ever seen the oil NOT black are ones with less then 25,000 miles on them, almost every other one will have black oil imediatly after changeing it, plus your never going to get all the old oil out




    American Trucker
    When you change the oil most of the time it is going to show new clean oil, I had a 2007 Pete since new and I sold it with 450,000 and every time I changed it the dip stick showed new clean oil when I checked it. If you run it for awhile it will turn to black. I am talking about after I drained the old and dumped the new and checked it.
    Crawl back in your sleeper and make another video about being a super trucker.

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Big John For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Road Train Member Big John's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Trucker?
    22 Years
    Posts
    2,023
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked: 1,401 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambi80 View Post
    Where's the guy who suggests adding a gallon of ATF fluid for a half hour before you drop the oil to clean the engine....I'd like to hear that theory again and perhaps try it.

    I have never heard about anything that cleans an engine like that, it would be interesting to hear about it or others.

  9. #8
    Medium Load Member Chain Drive's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia,Canada
    Trucker?
    6 Years
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked: 109 Times
    try putting a bottle of ATF in to help loosen things up

  10. #9
    Road Train Member Big John's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Trucker?
    22 Years
    Posts
    2,023
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked: 1,401 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain Drive View Post
    try putting a bottle of ATF in to help loosen things up
    Like a quart size or more?

  11. #10
    Medium Load Member Chain Drive's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia,Canada
    Trucker?
    6 Years
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked: 109 Times
    yes a quart, I really don't know if it does anything, I have heard of it before in the engine, fuel, undercoat, anywhere you can dump it. I put it in my fuel I heard it replaces the stuff that ULSD no longer has in it, my truck is a '99.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chain Drive For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast