Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Optimized idle

  1. #1
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Valdosta Georgia
    Trucker?
    6 Years
    Age
    48
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked: 45 Times

    What is "optimized idle" mean???

    I am still in CDL school, and do not know the terms of trucking yet.

    I am looking at Hunt transportation, and was told that their trucks run optimized idle.
    Help a newbie out and please explain what that means?


  2. #2
    Road Train Member Baack's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Trucker?
    Trucking Industry
    Posts
    15,283
    Thanks
    13,542
    Thanked: 10,243 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking84 View Post
    I am still in CDL school, and do not know the terms of trucking yet.

    I am looking at Hunt transportation, and was told that their trucks run optimized idle.
    Help a newbie out and please explain what that means?
    Optimized Idle with DDEC III/IV reduces engine idle time by running the engine only whenrequired. Optimized Idle automatically stops and restarts the engine to accomplish the following:- Keep the engine oil temperature between factory set limits 60�F (16�C) -- 104�F (40�C)- Keep the battery charged >12.2 V (12 V system), >24.4 V (24 V system)- Keep the cab/sleeper or passenger area at the desired temperature (using the optional thermostat)

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baack For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    "Village Idiot" dancnoone's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Trucker?
    23 Years
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,917
    Thanks
    525
    Thanked: 3,657 Times
    It turns the truck on and off, while your stationary. To maintain temp control in the cab.

    Many are set to save fuel now. 5 minute max time. So they aren't what they originally started out to be. More of a nuisance now.

  5. #4
    "Asphalt Cowboy" brinkj23's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Trucker?
    8 Years
    Posts
    1,166
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked: 312 Times
    Yeah they are annoying as heck, my truck has it and for the first couple weeks or so I woke up ripped the curtains open thinking someone was stealing the truck or someone just hit me. But I figured out a way to keep the truck running constant. I feel its a safety thing cause I need a comfortable sleep with no annoying wake ups every 10 minutes, cause im a light sleeper and even after two months of it I still woke up every time it started up and turned off.

  6. #5
    Medium Load Member He who is called I am's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Da U P Eh, Michigan
    Trucker?
    9 Years
    Age
    33
    Posts
    439
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked: 93 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by brinkj23 View Post
    Yeah they are annoying as heck, my truck has it and for the first couple weeks or so I woke up ripped the curtains open thinking someone was stealing the truck or someone just hit me. But I figured out a way to keep the truck running constant. I feel its a safety thing cause I need a comfortable sleep with no annoying wake ups every 10 minutes, cause im a light sleeper and even after two months of it I still woke up every time it started up and turned off.

    Im glad i dont have that. Im a light sleeper as well. That must be hell not being able to get a good nights sleep.

  7. #6
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Trucker?
    18 Years
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked: 0 Times

    Optimized idle

    Hi I just purchased a truck with a detroit engine and it has Optimized Idle. Does any one knows how to use it? I've tried to make it work but it seems I doing something wrong.
    Thanks

  8. #7
    "Asphalt Cowboy" brinkj23's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Trucker?
    8 Years
    Posts
    1,166
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked: 312 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by mtorr View Post
    Hi I just purchased a truck with a detroit engine and it has Optimized Idle. Does any one knows how to use it? I've tried to make it work but it seems I doing something wrong.
    Thanks
    On the truck i had, you turned the truck off and flipped the switch that was on the dash board then you had to turn on the box that was in the sleeper and set the heat or ac on that. But if you bought it and dont like it I would disable it, I went through two starters on the volvo I had with opti idle, its very hard on the starter starting the truck every 10-20 minutes.

  9. #8
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Trucker?
    10 Years
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times

    Opti idle

    How did you disable it?

    RS

  10. #9
    "Asphalt Cowboy" brinkj23's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Trucker?
    8 Years
    Posts
    1,166
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked: 312 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by rschweizer View Post
    How did you disable it?

    RS
    I didnt disable mine I just figured out a way to confuse the truck to think it was still in gear so it wouldnt shut off when I parked. I just put the range selector in high range and put it in front of the final gear there is a spot just before it goes into gear so the computer thought the truck was in gear when it really wasnt, thus keeping the truck from shutting itself off.

  11. #10
    Light Load Member FYDA FREIGHTLINER CINCY's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, ohio
    Trucker?
    Trucking Industry
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked: 118 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by rschweizer View Post
    How did you disable it?

    RS
    u can turn opt idle off in the ecm and disable idle shutdown. sometimes u will have to change the in and outs too..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast