“No Trucks” Signs on I-278 near Brooklyn, NY?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PE_T, Jul 28, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Why do they have all of these “no trucks” signs posted along I-278 near Brooklyn when trucks go through there every day?

375E26A4-4FE0-4ED5-AECD-A661C9254E83.png

482AC5F9-16DC-4249-8C42-21390DA56AE1.png

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, on the stretch between Atlantic Ave and the Brooklyn Bridge you have to run the middle lane or you’ll scrape the top of your trailer. IIRC the right lane eastbound and left lane westbound through there are no bueno.

@Ruthless always has good information on New York.

x1Heavy, stwik, D.Tibbitt and 6 others Thank this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Oh, yeah, you’re right. I remember learning that from the several NY city routing calls I made at my former big fleet every time I delivered in or around NYC.

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    There's an exception where it becomes Grand Parkway. Some of our drivers go east on the LIE to the Van Wyck, and cross the Whitestone instead of RFK to get to Hunt's Point and other places.

x1Heavy and PE_T Thank this.
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Explain the exception?
    They ripped the signs down last year for “no trucks over 12’6” or 3 axles” on the parkway chunk. Now officially truck friendly.

kemosabi49, bzinger, stwik and 4 others Thank this.
  7. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    Good question
    There is even a sign eastbound on I278 that says ALL trucks 12’9”? And higher must exit on Atlantic (I think)....
    I always stay on and stay in the ‘taller’ lane and never have had an issue.
    It is butt clenching the first couple times lol
    I see trucks stay on every time though

bzinger, D.Tibbitt, Dino soar and 4 others Thank this.
  8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I can't explain it, I saw signs the last time when my exit was closed and I crossed from the Bronx into Queens that you can go a ways. The embargo made no sense to me, ever. Parkway meant no go.

I go so seldom it's almost a complete start over, had never been across the Hudson with one stop in Hunt's Point before, Brooklyn Wholesale Meat Market is our primary destination.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    From what I could find they dug out the roadbed and made it lower on the stretch of the GCP that overlaps with I-278.

x1Heavy, D.Tibbitt and PE_T Thank this.
  10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I used to spend a lot of time up in New York. What a crazy place for trucks.

The signs are often misleading and many many times wrong. The signs for height I think are almost all wrong.

To anyone going there especially for the first time, its best that someone really gives you directions that has traveled up through there often, and you really need to study your road atlas and make sure you don't miss any exits or turns.

And of all the places that I have travelled, I have never seen people drive like raving lunatics the way they do in New York.

It's like it's it's own Planet up there.

11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I heard some thing on Transport Topics, or maybe Landline Now the other day that NYC is thinking about, or maybe are, reposting all clearances with the actual measured clearance... Up to this point clearances have been posted 1 foot lower than what the actual measured clearance is.

This posting lower clearances has resulted in many instances of trucks and RVs stopping in the road to try and figure out how to get out of places because they thought they wouldnt fit under bridges that they actually would fit under. Guess it has caused alot of headaches... Understandably.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.