“Part time” O/O?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by racemaxx24, Dec 3, 2019.

1. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    Would like to gather some opinions from our O/O folks. I work with a race team part time that is in need of purchasing a tractor to use in pulling their race trailer to events. Previously this was handled via a B2B deal with another smaller carrier. Because of the limited racing schedule the thought has been tossed around in using the truck for freight hauling during off weeks to generate income. We’d probably prefer to lease it on to an O/O outfit, such as Mercer or Landstar. But would any of these carriers be willing to work with us considering the truck would be first and foremost obligated to the race team operations? Or would our best bet be obtaining our own authority and pulling thru load boards/brokers in between events? Mindful that the truck must be purchased regardless and insurance/authority necessary to operate our team as well.

truckinglife1198 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    You seem to know well enough. if you get your own authority, you will have the overhead of paying insurance each month, be it $700-$1500+. Plus upfront payment of Tags, managing IFTA, Drug testing consortium, maintenance records, driver profile files, company policy documents etc.

But this almost is the only fit for what your trying to do. Because when you stick a DOT number on the truck, your running under their authority, their insurance, their freight, their rules. I highly doubt Landstar or Mercer would entertain that type of operation. Unless you were a broker/agent there, or had one on the inside, to run your freight through the Landstar system. Once leased to a carrier, you can’t really legally haul freight that’s not theirs. You got rate contracts per load, everything’s documented for insurance purposes and etc. so doing anything outside of their freight is strongly frowned upon (without approval) and probably ground for termination. And I doubt their going to entertain funneling money back to you to legally haul your own freight. It’s even tricky to bring your own customers into Landstar, usually have to run it through a select broker on the inside, get their credit approved and etc.

maybe others will chime in.

86scotty and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    A sponsor may be an option.
    For one year I and one of my owner operators sponsored a young lady running the Nascar west curcuit.
    We furnished the truck, driver and insurance to get her cars and everything around the country, they furnished the fuel.
    Just an option that may or may not be open to you.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    For your own purposes, if you are pulling only your own equipment or your own vehicles, I do not think you need Federal Authority. Federal Authority is for transporting others Goods.

I think you would need a d o t number, drug testing and everything else that goes along with commercial Trucking, but your insurance would be a lot cheaper. And you don't have to run the full million dollars unless you want or need to.

My own truck hauling my own equipment was less than half of what it is with my own authority.

Depending on where you are and how you are situated, the gap between what it cost hauling your own stuff versus what it cost with your Authority could be much larger than that.

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Your gonna need your own insurance anyways to pull your trailer loaded with your stuff......so get your own numbers.

86scotty Thanks this.
  7. Peterider81

Peterider81 Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2019
    My opinion hire you own driver with his her own rig that way you have it handled no need for hassle with companies etc. OO would probably love it as long as he she is paid well.

FlaSwampRat and Opendeckin Thank this.
  8. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Live near a farming community? Or a large construction company? Problem solved! Drive to the races on weekends and haul gravel/ grain during the week.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    In all honesty, I think that would be the poorest decision. I can understand, you want to generate income during off times, but you're looking at the wrong place. The trucking industry is in such poor shape, some ying yang runs a stop sign while texting, a slick lawyer gets a hold of the case, finds one brake out of adjustment, jury awards them 19 million dollars, and it's goodbye racing career. Some stupid delay, you can't make it back, and the race goes on without you. Years ago, and maybe what you are thinking of, yes, one could buy a truck and haul stuff casually, but today, with cut throat megas and regulations and insurance, AND distracted drivers, you're better off buying a fishing boat for the slow times, really.

10. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    It’s possible that you might find a small local company that would do it, but I doubt you’ll get a large outfit that will.
    In the mid 90’s I worked for a guy that pulled Petty’s Busch car hauler. I have no idea on the details other than he had all access to all the races.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    LS won't let you do that, your leased to them.

And by the time you get this all sorted out, driver, authority (yes you need one if you are racing for money), ifta, 2290, insurance and of course truck maintaince, it is far easier just to have a contract with a small fleet where they can assign a driver,

201 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.