017 Volvo day cab Coolant Leak

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by MooneyBravo, Jan 25, 2023.

1. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I'm only a backyard mechanic/driver.
    I've done a lot of things but I'm far from being a qualified Tech. i drive a 2017 Volvo day cab auto transporter. I get a coolant leak from time to time in the front of the truck. It sometimes leaks when it's cold out in the morning. After the engine warms up, there are no signs of a coolant leak anymore. I can't see any leaks coming from the hoses but I haven't actually crawled underneath yet either.

Worst case scenario, is there any way that this could possibly be coming from the radiator? I know about expansion and contraction and hoses can leak when they're cold if clamp is loose but I haven't been to radiator school.

I've had this truck since brand new. It is a company owned vehicle. The radiator was changed probably 4 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Water pumps going south may do that. It's not the radiator, and if the clamps are tight, sounds like a job for "Mend-Tite",,:thumbup:

4. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    How much coolant is it losing?

I have used 3 gallon over the first 110k miles on my new truck. To me it’s normal considering my last truck used about the same amount..mostly attributed to cold weather.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    So that's like a gallon every 4 months? I don't know, trucks I drove never used any coolant, unless something was wrong.

6. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Supposedly it’s the silicone coolant hoses that cause the loss.

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Wow! Great video. Silicone hoses will leak when cold, especially when new. The special constant tension SS clamps are suggested. The ones with a spring on them. Even they need to be tightened up after while to avoid developing a leak.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Concorde and The Railsplitter Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Mmm-hmm, hoses made by Peak Coolant? Here's an idea boss, make the hoses silicone and they will leak when cold, we'll sell even more coolant! Nice job, son, here, take the company Lexus home.

jsnell, Rideandrepair and Concorde Thank this.
  9. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Cold leaks on hoses are definitely not just silicone. I honestly feel like I see more standard black rubber ones cold leaking. One major plus to the silicone ones is they don’t seem to cause corrosion between the hose and the fitting. It’s also possible that the radiator is the leak if it has bolted on tanks. I have seen those gaskets cold leak too on several trucks. I would suggest looking to see where the drips are when it’s cold and then fix or monitor the problem.

10. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    LMAO

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.