04 columbia no tractor brake lights

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Vinnie Donuts, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Vinnie Donuts

Vinnie Donuts Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    I just recent noticed that upon application of my service brake that my brake lights are not illuminating. I have turn signals,.4 ways, and operating lights when my headlights are on. Trailer lights all work fine including brake. Recent I've been using the "johnson" bar a lot for testing my connections to trailers. My cruise kick out still works while driving. Does anyone know where these air pressure switches are located on a columbia because I can't find them. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Columbia light wiring is very simple, like on old Mercedes SK. No tailamp relays, all via switches. Turn light switch is the weak point if you use wrong bulbs.

The problem may be hidden in turn light switch. Wire 36B runs to trailer 7-way connector directly, but to tail lamps throught turn light switch (wire 36A).

So try to change turn signal switch.

4. Vinnie Donuts

Feb 24, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    please explain what you mean by turn signal switch. The flasher fuse in the fuse panel or the turn signal lever thanks

5. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    turn signal switch is located on steering column))))))

6. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    [​IMG]

Look at this diagram to understand how simple is the turn signal wiring of Columbia. '02 Volvo got LCM with version-II, Actros got electronic light control in '02, new Cascadia got SAM modules like Mercedes cars.... And this is sufisticated simple wiring!!!! Easy and cheap to fix... ouh, but technology of the early XX century))))) LOL

Vinnie Donuts Thanks this.
  7. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    BTW, broken 36A wire, bad connection - the same issue!

8. Vinnie Donuts

Feb 24, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Found my problem. It was only a blown stop light fuse (#4). Stupid me for asking before checking the simple things. I wonder what caused it to pop? I went ahead and bought a new brake light switch (very cheap) and might as well replace it. Only problem is I can not find where the #### thing is. Do you know by any chance? Thanks for all your help pablo.

9. dliddick3

dliddick3 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2015
    well, I have a 2000 century class that had no hi-beams. replaced turn signal switch to no avail. headlamps are good. no juice at the headlight for hi-beams.took to garage,they said bad wire at turn signal switch.they 'fixed' problem by switching wires around. now I have no brake lights and the hi-beams still are not working.when you hit dimmer switch,the low beams stay on

10. dliddick3

dliddick3 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2015
    what's up with this ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.