'05 9900i ISX questions

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by DDlighttruck, Feb 23, 2017.

1. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Like the title says '05 IH 9900i. New to me truck, never owned a class 8 before.
    -Fuel/water separator is broken. Does that act as a prefilter as well as a water seperator? How important of a priority is it to fix?

Software- @rank in another thread suggested Insite as a good program to access trouble codes and the ECM. It was an older thread, is that still good advice?

5th wheel is set high. Do I just get lower risers at a wrecking yard? Are 5th wheel risers unique to the brand of 5th wheel?

Tools- More imperial than metric on a big truck? Or carry both?

Shop manuals- did they still have shop manuals and wiring diagrams on paper in '05?

Thanks

rank Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Not sure how old that thread was but I went with Powerspec instead of Insite due to the cost difference. Powerspec is a free download from Cummins. Insite costs to buy but worse is the subscription.

With Pspec, once you purchase the hardware that connects your laptop to the truck (mine is Nexiq, bought from a snap on tool truck) you can check codes, edit speed limiter parameters, edit cruise parameters, edit rear gear ratio and tire diameter, modify driver rewards, check engine hrs, check fuel used, sudden decels. You CAN'T do a cylinder cutout test or monitor injector flow.
    EDIT: An internet connection is required to use Powerspec. Telephone tech support is awesome

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  4. DDlighttruck

Dec 12, 2015
    Thank you sir. You bring it with you on the truck? How soon is something like this needed? Do you remember the rough cost?

rank Thanks this.
  5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Rough cost.....best guess is approx $500 CDN? The Nexiq hardware can be used with different software for different engines. I think member @GrapeApe told me it works with Cat too. Really you should buy it before you buy the truck so you can check the ECM before you buy.

6. DDlighttruck

Dec 12, 2015
    Ok I'll call my Snap On dealer in the morning. Thanks

rank Thanks this.
  7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    First thing I did was call Powerspec tech support to make sure I bought the right hardware. I *think* it's called "Nexiq USB Link 2"

8. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
  9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Oh BTW congrats on the truck. My neighbor had a '05 9900 with a Acert he bought new. He babied that thing and it was like new when he was driving through a construction zone and a wheel loader backed into him. Ins Co wrote it off and offered him $5k IIRC. He bought another 9900 '07 this time with an ISX. I told him he was nuts for buying an '07 but he's pretty sharp he'll get it figured out

10. DDlighttruck

Dec 12, 2015
    Thanks for the advice. It needs work but the plan is to do most of it myself, and keep on the road repair expenses to a minimum

rank Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.