05 Volvo D12

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dejavu2, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Dejavu2

Dejavu2 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2018
    1 month
    2 shops
    4 visits
    2 major bills ($10,000)
    2 "nothing is wrong with it"

The beginning:
    Truck was throwing EGR codes and having idling issues. Consuming a crap ton of water and getting average 4.8 mpg.
    Shop says EGR cooler, we knew it had valve issues so asked them to replace all of it.

We leave and have a slightly better mpg (low 5s) but losing power randomly. And throwing EGR temp code. It was too high.

Return to shop.... was told they couldn't drive it but the code isnt there so nothing is wrong. Go to hwll.

Take it to volvo dealership. They find coolant leaks (hoses and clamps) a boost leak from the turbo something or other seal and EGR temp sensor... And fix all those issues.

Leave. Come back. Same day.

No change in trucks behavior. Still losing power (if you key off and start it back up it has temporary power) still throwing egr temp too high.
    Left feeling defeated as Volvo said as the other shop did "nothing is wrong with it"

Today... still lose power with even slightest incline feels like a sudden derate. Key off and back on and power regains temporarily (few miles) getting 5.3 avg mpg. Code Mid 128 pid 412 fmi 4 ... EGR temperature value too high...
    When truck loses power starts to overheat... it is keeping coolant now and a short rest to cool it back down.

Read maybe an epg issue? Only 1 stage of brake works

Egr system has all been replaced new. Volvo even dismantled and reinstalled to make sure previous shop did it right...

Take it out back and shoot it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RSB34

RSB34 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2013
    ny.
    They are known to have wire harness issues. I've sold mine now. Mine used to have a lot of what you are saying. Put new harness in took care of that. As far as egr I used to put one in every 10-13k like clock work could not even get them to last until warrenty was out. Asked my mechanic he Said they have issues with them they will just keep putting them in until one lasts. After 6 of them one lasted 150k I sold it with that one in so don't know how long that lasted. Mine was a 06

4. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    That has to be great for the environment ///.

5. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Don’t quote me but possibly turbo. Get it checked out.

6. Dejavu2

Dejavu2 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2018
    I was hoping it not the turbo as Volvo already had their hands on that system pressurizing it for boost leaks. *shrug* another thing to look at I guess. thanks

7. Volvo8873

Volvo8873 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    It really sounds like a head gasket.

8. Dejavu2

Dejavu2 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2018
    No water in the oil or anything. Coolant is holding since replacing hoses and clamps at 3rd shop trip.

Only symptoms now is a derate of power that temporarily comes back with the off/on of the engine and still the code saying egr temperature value too high.

Also after trying to clean the EPG something must have went wrong because now i have no Jake

9. mladen86

mladen86 Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Chicago,il
    Hmm,i had similar problem with my d12,was loosing power intermittently.
    Can’t remember correctly but there was code for temperature of something was too high.
    Shop replaced some sensor,i think egr temperature sensor,but not sure,price was 300-400$

Volvjessy Thanks this.
  10. RSB34

RSB34 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2013
    ny.
    I will never own another Volvo engine after all I went though. The D12 insides last forever they are indestructible but the rest are a nightmare.

11. Dejavu2

Dejavu2 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Thanks. We replaced that part at 400 and some change. Hopefully not a bad part I dont want to go back to portland lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.