06 volvo 780, 530hp isx problems

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by fuelofire, Sep 23, 2010.

1. CarolinaFleet

CarolinaFleet Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I can add a little to your search. First Egrs dont always set a code and can cause alot of your issues, however I am incline to think it is your fan clutch. Do this, put your getter home bolt in your fan clutch. Or test it when it hot and see that it is truly locking up. Sounds like the brake is worn and it slipping. Since you have good power, I want mention the turbo brake control. I have seen them hang up causing the unit to have lack of power and engine heat, I dont think that is your problem. Iam Incline to believe its your fan clutch acting up and not locking up and slipping. 2nd choice I would look at egrs. Volvo should be able to manual operate and test both of them. Good luck !

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ENR

ENR Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Ontario
    You said the soot is high.. Streaming injector or even try a new fuel temp sensor. That could account for over fueling causing a bit of smoke and even your variance within the ecm fuel milage .. truck doesn't see how much fuel it's using, thinking the fuel is hotter than it is ??

just a guess.

4. bdmose

bdmose Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2008
    anywhere but my home in VA
    my 05 is a clone to this one..........lol give this man more advice. Plus with mine, I can smell coolant coming from the vents when I idle

5. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    if you can smell coolant they may want you to spend big bucks on all kinds of engine tests, injector seals etc. Before they do that, replace the heater core! Mine went bad in the 1st year and was done under warranty, and then that one leaked too! 3rd time was a charm. That's the kind of stuff that would go bad on a truck that was 25 years old, not new.

6. Dr1fter

Dr1fter Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Cooperstown, NY
    I don't want to derail the original conversation here, but I get that anti-freeze smell as well. One of the reasons I have never liked a Cummins engine...the constant smell of anti-freeze and puffing white smoke out the exhaust. HOWEVER...I do love the ISX engine overall. I have a 530 in an '04 Volvo 670 as well...some of these issues mimick mine at times. Mine now has 520,000 miles on it. There is no evidence of a leak anywhere, normally...when I have it plugged in over an extended weekend , sometimes you'll see where it has weeped on the ground. Anyway, to the similar problem, my thermostst was sticking shut, couldn't keep the temps down, but had the original 195 deg t-stat in it and the mechanic ended up putting in a 180 deg and has taken care of that immediate problem, along with the fan clutch slipping. What I also have had problems with is the turbo-actuator...takes the o-rings right out of them, then leaks air. Since they put the last one, the turbo surges while warming up, once it builds air and the fan unlocks, is when it starts surging and also starts puffing white smoke. I've put my hand at the end of the stack and no anti-freeze smell. This probably isn't the cooling problem, but as mentioned in an earlier post about the white smoke or just smoke, puffing...this has been a constant problem for me. 5 actuators in 250,000 miles...and a new turbo, not because it went, but the bushing where the actuator mounts was leaking a gallon of more of oil a week down my frame rail and blowing on my cab. I usually run between 102 and 107,000 gross regularly.

7. Dr1fter

Dr1fter Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Cooperstown, NY
    My solution: I have installed a manual fan switch on the dash. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Going up up a hill? I anticipate the heat, and turn the fan on. Truck has never got any where near 200F, generally it stays right in the middle on the gauge.[/QUOTE]

If I may ask...Is this on a Volvo, and if so, how did you get around the computer without it throwing a code? PM me if you wish.

8. fuelofire

fuelofire Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Mc Minnville, TN
    you ever get the answer on that fan switch? I know my volvo has a small solenoid on the exterior drivers side firewall that controls the air line to the fan hub. power opens the solenoid and the air pressure keeps the fan off, when power is cut ( i.e. unpluging the solenoid) the solenoid closes and the fan comes on.

9. Dr1fter

Dr1fter Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Cooperstown, NY
    I did, actually...got a schematic from Cummins and found the pin location to connect to a switch. (Works great!) Also found out the white smoke puffing problem...found a crack in the head where the #3 injector goes through...had to put on a new head. Though it didn't need it, with the head off, we rebuilt the engine...saved around $3000 in additional parts and labor over just putting the head back on and having to do it all over, down the road. The anti-freeze on the ground was from the o-ring on the back side of the waterpump...when cold would leak, as it warmed up it would seal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.