07 KW T800 Cracked Head

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Lowboy456, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Hey folks! I thought I'd share my story just for those who will one day experience the same thing I've just gone through.

One month and 5 days ago on a Saturday I blew a 2" water hose coming off the water pump during my 2nd run with a load of asphalt. at 1:55PM I pulled over with the hi temp alarm sounding. It could not have been a worse hose to blow.

Our mechanic went to MHC Kenworth and picked up the right hose for the vin number. Good move!
    It was so far buried I could never have gotten an accurate measurement on it.
    So he finally arrives with the hose and tools and we start taking things apart.
    First was the serpentine belt. Next the alternator had to go and then the front half of the front turbo and its large metal hoses and then the air cooler and then two brackets.
    And finally with some long extensions coming in from the front with a swivel and a 13mm we took the flange nipple off the water pump that allowed us to remove the 2" hose that was blown.

Then it came a flood on us so we had to sit in the trucks a few minutes.
    Finally it quit raining and we got back out there and got er done.
    One of the turbo hose flange bolts had gotten lost on the frame somewhere during disassembly and we could not find it anywhere so I looked up and down the road for some wire to wire the clamp together so we could get gone and get the asphalt off the truck. I found a coat hanger and it worked perfectly.

By the time I pulled out it was 8:33PM the asphalt had been on the truck for 7 hrs and I had almost an hour back to the shop. Since the asphalt didn't get taken to the job we had to buy the load. That cost 950 bucks so it might as well be used to settle the dust around our shop. I set the chains and tail gated it.
    After being in the truck 8 hrs now I was surpized there weren't more clumps in the asphalt.

I said all that to say this. Since we filled it up that day I lost 12 gallons of coolant. I noticed I had a bad radiator cap and thought the coolant was escaping out the over flow tube. It was but some was being burned in the engine.

I bought a new cap and put it on one evening without running the truck.
    The very next time out on my way to get fuel one morning I noticed the truck sputtering and smoking a lot of white out both stacks. RutRo! At the gas station I put the old cap back on and stuck a bottle on the frame to catch the water out of the over flow to see how much was escaping. While changing the cap I noticed some gurgling going on in the the coolant reservoir. Ah a blown head gasket or cracked liner I thought.

Well the white smoke and sputtering quit but I was losing about 16oz of water every hr in my bottle so I hung a gallon jug out there to finish out the day. That way I didn't have to lift that heavy hood every hour and dump the antifreeze back into the reservoir.

I ran it with the jug catching the coolant over flow for the remainder of the day to stay on a paying job and took it to a recommended mechanic that evening.
    Turns out it was a cracked head.

I don't know what caused the cracked head but I don't think the engine got hot enough to crack it with the blown hose. I guess its possible?
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Your mechanic has access to Cat ET? He will be able to tell you how hot it got. Tis the only explanation I can see possible. I for sure would be inspected pistons and liner o-rings. If your putting a new head on it, might as well do the bottom too. JMO

Intothesunset and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  4. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    Thanks Ill ask him. Like I say its possible it got hot enough. I was pulling away from a red light when the alarm went off and it took me about 30 seconds to get
    where i could get completely off the rd.

5. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I did not see what engine this was?

6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    He mentioned front turbo, I suspect an acert.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  7. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    Cat C-13 Twin Turbo. I can't believe I didn't mention the engine. Thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Intothesunset Thanks this.
  8. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    Well I've run the truck 2 days now after getting the new head installed and its doing really well. It seems to have a good bit more power than it did before I started losing water.
    Now I have an engine light coming on that I've never had.

Flash code is 95. The engine light stays off until I get loaded and pull my first hard uphill, then the light comes on and stays on the remainder of the day.
    I think this code is for Intake Valve Actuator Oil Pressure sensor. Does anyone know if this is correct?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.