'07 VNL780 mirror glass vibrating!

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Yellow Venom, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Yellow Venom

Yellow Venom Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Edmonton,Alberta
    I have an '07 VNL780 with the chrome mirror housings and the glass in the mirrors vibrate really bad while going down the highway, passenger side is so bad I can barely see out of it!! What can be done to fix this problem??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    Is it the entire housing vibrating or just the face of the mirror moving? If it is just the plate of the mirror moving there is not much you can do, mine wobble in high winds. Dealership said they were as tight as they can be.

4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    broken cast parts inside mirror.....

5. Yellow Venom

Dec 15, 2012
    Edmonton,Alberta
    Yeah it's just the glass mirror itself that's wobbling while moving, is the glass glued to the electric motors inside or bolted?? I put some rolled up paper towel in there as a tempory fix so I can see when I pass someone so I can pull back in safely.

6. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Miami,FL (yeah i know :( )
    it might be a damaged cast mounting point behind the mirror i had a buddy of mine put thick foam/rubber type insulation behind it and never moved it again from what i heard the mirror assemblies are a pretty penny for them volvos...

7. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Yep, this is weak thing. Part is the same for FH, FH, VM and VN trucks.....

Yellow Venom Thanks this.
  8. Yellow Venom

Dec 15, 2012
    Edmonton,Alberta
    Turbo is all good, no cracks, the mirrors vibrate just from the moving down the road and the wind blowing around them.

9. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand
    Mind on my truck dose the zack same thing, I went to Volvo and took a look at the part in question it has two wormed gears that's what wears out. You have to buy the whole assembly ( Typical volvo part 107.00 ). I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the mirror, to get at the assembly, without breaking the mirror !

10. Tuzla075

Tuzla075 Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    try really carefully lifting the mirror with the help of a screwdriver, i think there is a screw underneath, on the bottom, that can be tightened!Never done this, but heard it works and helps....

11. JR OTR

JR OTR Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I have a 2007 780 with this issue and you won't be able to fix the problem by throwing parts at it. The mirrors are mounted on the tilt / pan motors directly so you'll see this shaking from the first mile you have your truck from the factory. It can get worse if you leave the mirrors hanging out in the wind, but there will always be some wobble. The solution I found was to adjust the mirrors so they were as flat as possible across the face of the structure so the wind has as little area to sneak behind them to push them around. It isn't optimal but I get very little mirror shake now and haven't had to replace them in nearly 600k miles. Good luck, Jim

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.