09 Prostar needs injectors/turbo/charge air cooler, Should I DIY?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by earnies2, Jan 4, 2019.

1. earnies2

earnies2 Medium Load Member

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    I have a 2009 Prostar it has 650k on it 565 cummins 13 spd 355 rears skyrise sleeper verry clean truck oil sample comes back good....I need new injectors a turbo and a charge air cooler I belive i can do all the work myself if i get the turbo with the actuator i am wondering if it is time to move into another truck or fix this one it is paid for......whats your thoughts?????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I would say hang on to it if your happy with it over all. Since your oil samples are still looking good and its paid for I think it would be worth it to do the turbo and CAC and a six pack.

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I would take it to a Cummins shop and get your static engine timing checked. The injectors have to come out for this, so a good time to have that done and it does wonders for power, fuel economy and DPF life. If you replace your turbo and actuator, that needs to be calibrated with Insite anyway, so you need to visit a shop regardless for that.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  5. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    I was planing on doing the CAC and injectors and turbo myself and have a friend with insite calibrate the turbo what is a static timing check and what does it cost? I have a computer with insite and can't get it to work in not sure if it is my software,the computer or my inline 6

6. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    I would do the work or have the work done and keep it.

7. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    What is static engine timing? And will cummins work on a deleted truck and not change the program?

8. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    Update I did the primary fuel pump, charge air cooler with new boots, complete service with new air filter it is running great i will report back with my milage

Heavyd Thanks this.
  9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Good to hear. FYI, static timing is basically cam to crankshaft timing which can be more precisely set with special tooling instead of the timing pins and wedges that are normally used. As for your delete, it is best to not take it to a place like that because they may have policies against it or someone may in fact recalibrate it not knowing and really mess it up.

earnies2 Thanks this.
  10. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    What is the cost and benefits of static timing do you do it?

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It's just more precise base engine timing for better performance and fuel economy and aftertreatment life. I have never done this.

earnies2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.