09 Volvo I-Shift Tranny Air Leak

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by SuperDaveDenver, Dec 6, 2018.

1. SuperDaveDenver

SuperDaveDenver Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Denver, CO
    After spending a couple of thousands of dollars trying to pinpoint an air leak that was emptying my air tanks very quickly, a Volvo dealer has determined that there is an air leak internal to the transmission.

After dropping the tranny they determined that the TECU is bad and needed to be replaced to fix the air leak. What I don't understand is how the TECU can be leaking air? They want to charge me sixty five hundred dollars to replace the part and for labor to Remove and replace the transmission.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    all control with i shift are air operated but is the tecu leaking air inside the trans if that is happening than all seals should be leaking, never really heard of tecu leaking before more of the hosing for the shifting. mainly.

4. SuperDaveDenver

Feb 14, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Well they are saying the TECU will fix the air leak...no other parts are being replaced. I am very skeptical and I think once they replace it and put the transmission back together I'm still going to have the same air leak.

They quoted me $6500 for this repair for the air leak

5. SuperDaveDenver

Feb 14, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Thank you Nasriza for the reply...you are a legend around here and I am glad you saw the post.... Do you think there is any chance that the TECU could be the problem with the air leak???

6. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Well I have never to this day seen one leak not to be said that they can’t but not very likely, even though u can have the tech removed and sent to Weller for testing and they will let u know also the nice thing is that they can repair for you as well if there is something wrong for a lot less than what Volvo wants to charge to remove the tech it’s not really a huge job per say not easy but nothing that can’t be rxr in about 3 hrs give or take. Hope this helps

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  7. benrab

benrab Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    Note the TECU is bolted above the transmission control housing probably the air leak is come from there. It can be tested after it has benn remove from the transmission

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  8. Mdavid0614

Mdavid0614 Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I have a ato2512c i need to sell 509k miles just
    In case)!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.