1.50 per mile rant

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cheezy_smile, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    In my opinion that is one of the best things about working for myself! I get to choose how much money the truck makes and how many hours I work. When I feel like hitting it hard, it’s my choice. When I deliver my load I have on and park 2 hours after I started my day it’s my choice.

back street slider and jamespmack Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Ive been working on truck all week in my shop. Probably finish the week that way. Still pack my lunch. Finaly took some time to work on some little things that I have wanted too. Kinda nice to not be under the gun to fix something and peel out.

Oxbow, wore out and DieselDrivinDaddy Thank this.
  4. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Jerry at Swift would say "book it !!!!" Never turn down freight was his modo.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  5. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I work for 1.55 all miles. Everything paid. All Tolls plates insurance trailer cargo and bobtail included. Border pass etc. I do it NOW because I'm 55, on the back side slide. Work less, do less paperwork, (I HATE PAPERWORK) play with my toys more. Nobody to chase for cash. Every 2 weeks there is a deposit. I have a glider Columbia 60seires. Cheapest truck on the road to maintain. I like it works for me. On my last truck, I'm done when this truck is done.

tommymonza, REO6205, misterG and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Cheezy_smile

Cheezy_smile Medium Load Member

May 23, 2017
    That’s cool if it works for you. But I think you’re hauling too cheap. I got truck that is payed for and still wouldn’t touch anything less than my daily revenue goal.

7. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Ya, occasionally I think of doing my own thing again, I did entertainment for years. But I just don't want to do the sales calls and all the BS that goes with it. What will I make clear, another .25 a mile? Insurance plates border stuff tolls are all expensive. I run the same lanes most of the time, 3 or 4 different runs and can pick from what's available. It's too easy and when I turn the key off I'm done. I like it.

Tug Toy, Paddlewagon and jamespmack Thank this.
  8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I think you have it figured out better than those chasing strictly the rate per mile. Don’t get me wrong, I am about less miles and more money however when someone looks at the big picture there are too many variables to strictly look at the rate per mile. What one person sees as a good rate the other person with different overhead, household income besides trucking, cost of living, net worth, lanes they don’t travel anymore regardless of rate and many more variables may not see as a good rate.

Elroythekid and jamespmack Thank this.
  9. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Ya, I would have to be guaranteed like $3 a mile to go thru all that NOW and even at that I'd have to think about it. Like I said I'm done in 5 years or less so... why I guess. If I was younger and had a body that wasn't so abused... (hockey and racing motorcycles off road) I would probably be moving cars. Their is a port close to me and regular runs to Toronto. I have friend who does it and makes BIG $$$ but.. he works physically hard and I'm just not able to anymore.

Tug Toy and Banker Thank this.
  10. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    The carhauling as an owner op is my favorite gig in 31 years of trucking. However the last 6 years of doing it has aged my body more than any other 6 year period. It could also just be part of getting older. Either way I wouldn’t trade this form of trucking for any other at this point in my life. We never know what tomorrow brings us though.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Elroythekid Thanks this.
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    As long as you can clear 65c or more out of that 1.55 and have peace of mind....it is not bad at all - or rather a matter of perspective...
    I am hoping to withdraw before 60 too - slowing down while approaching. By 55 I might be like you, I guess, not too $$$ demanding but otherwise satisfied.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Elroythekid Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.