1-81 Northbound Closed

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Grouch, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    All that I can find this morning is that 1-81 got reopened around 5am.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  4. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    All lanes of NB I - 81 are opened at the accident scene

5. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Bud A. and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    The tractor trailer ran off the left side of the interstate, overturned, and Gray was ejected from the sleeper part of the cab and died at the scene.

Bud A., truckdriver31 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yea that fiberglass is easy tear in a wreck, unlike the steel of the old iron, then again...

8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Yikes just by Raphine. I'm glad I didn't travel through the dark like I normally do. 81 seems to be a hot bed for trucking accidents. Nonetheless, RIP to those lost

9. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  10. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    The original article has been updated. Very sad, the man killed was in the sleeper and was ejected. He was just starting his career as a driver. If you're a team driver, I hope you're using the safety harness in the sleeper.

AUGUSTA COUNTY, Va. (WHSV) — UPDATE (10 a.m. April 8):

One person is dead and multiple others injured after a crash that shut down the northbound side of Interstate 81 in southern Augusta County on Tuesday night.
    According to Virginia State Police, around 10:45 p.m. on April 7, a 2002 Ford Focus driven by 26-year-old Zaqueo Valenti-Tellez, of Harrisonburg, was heading north on the interstate near mile marker 207.
    In the investigating trooper's report on the crash, police say Valenti-Tellez was driving in the left lane. A little ways back, in the right lane, was a 2020 Volvo tractor trailer driven by 55-year-old Robert Odie Scott, from Southaven, Mississippi.
    Scott had a passenger, 62-year-old Robert Dennis Gary, from Calhoun City, MS, in the sleeper part of the tractor trailer's cab.
    While both Valenti-Tellez and Scott were driving around 70 mph, police say they encountered hail on the roadway from severe storms that passed through the area overnight.
    Investigators say Valenti-Tellez lost control and the Ford Focus spun into the right lane, just ahead of the tractor trailer, which T-boned the Focus, sending the car off the right side of the interstate and into a guardrail.
    The tractor trailer ran off the left side of the interstate, overturned, and Gary was ejected from the sleeper part of the cab and died at the scene.
    A 2019 Chevy Silverado pulling a trailer was driving north in the right lane a little farther back and witnessed the crash. Police say that truck ran off the side of the interstate in an attempt to avoid the crash and hit the guard rail.
    Police say Valenti-Tellez and a male passenger who was in the car, as well as Scott, were transported to Augusta Health for treatment of serious injuries. The driver and a juvenile passenger of the Silverado were hospitalized as well. Everyone who was hospitalized was wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash.
    Valenti-Tellez has been issued a summons for failure to maintain control.
    The Virginia State Police Appomattox Division Crash Reconstruction Team is assisting with investigation of the crash.
    The northbound lanes of I-81 at mile marker 207 were shut down for much of Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. Traffic was diverted onto Route 11 at Exit 205.
    The tractor trailer was operating with Big M Express, according to family members of Robert Gary, who told WHSV he had just begun his career as a trucker and was excited about the adventure.
    This article had some initial discrepancies due to differing reports from Virginia State Police sources. The reports have since been reconciled to show the most accurate information on the make of car, charges, and names of all involved.

Infosaur Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.